serial port to usb foot pedal on Vista

mxlaym

Hi,

My wife has have a serial port foot pedal for use with ExpressScribe.

From the NCH website, the pedal appears to be a FPVECDB9.

She has used it successfully on our previous computer through the serial port.

We got a new computer (which runs Windows Vista Home Premium) with no serial port.

I am trying to use a Belkin serial-to-USB cable. I installed the driver from Belkin

and rebooted the computer. I opened ExpressScribe and attempted to run the foot

pedal control setup wizard for USBGame1. I got a 'hardware not detected

or driver not installed' error. I tried the wizard with the vecusb device

selected after downloading and installing the vecusb driver. ExpressScribe

complains that 'no VEC USB pedals detected'. I tried following the instructions

on the web site for VPE (USB) pedal. However, when I go to the tab for Game controllers

setup, no game controllers are shown. Any suggestions on how to get this to work ?

Thanks.

Mark

Hi,

Since you mentioned new computer, I suspect whether the game port is enabled on the motherboard. Go to BIOS Setup when the system is starting up, (usually Del key) --> onboard devices configuration --> game port/MIDI. If it is disabled then enable it and restart. Now the device should be recognized.

Guest nchto

Also make sure that the usb to serial converter isn't just creating a virtual serial port instead (in which case you wouldn't treat the new device as a USB device, but rather a Serial device).

• 1 year later...

Hello! I seem to be having the same issue...

I checked my BIOS and gamepad is enabled.. and I also checked the controllers in the gaming section of the control panel and none are displayed...

Was a solution ever found for this problem?

Here's my case in full:

I'm using a 3 pedal footpad with a serial connection and it works fine on any computer that has a serial port.. however I cannot get it to work on our newer computers which do not have serial ports.

I've purchased a Belkin's USB/Serial adapter and have the appropriate drivers installed. It's set to COM3 and ExpressScribe finds it and allows the wizard to pop up; but pressing the footpedal ilicits no response from express scribe. I've read on other forums that setting the adapter to a higher COM port i.e. COM6 resolves the problem in other scribing software, but ExpressScribe seems to be limited to only COM1-COM4.

Any ideas? Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thank you!

Micah Gillett

• 8 months later...

I was having the same problem when I tried to use the serial 9-pin Foot Pedal using a USB-SERIAL 9-pin converter.

Plz try the following:

Install and connect the pedal properly.

Go to My Computer, System Properties, Device Manager, and expand the Ports section. There should be Communication Port (COM1) and the other Com port that you just installed. In my case it was Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (Com 15). Now, please right click on this, go to Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > and change the Com Port Number from what it is (Eg. 15) to Com 1.

I hope this should do with it.

Now, configure the NCH Express Scribe Foot Pedal controls on Com 1.

Regards,

Avinandan.