Pitch

Colette Lafontaine-White

When I change the pitch on my music, it cuts it short. I cannot view the whole piece on my screen. How come?

I presume you were LOWERING the pitch. Wavepad truncates a file when you lower the pitch or the speed. If you raise the pitch or speed up the song, Wavepad adds silence to the end of the file. I would like to think that this is due to an error in programming and not by design. If the former, this is forgivable, though one wonders how it got past the testing. If the latter, then stupidity is the only explanation.

Fortunately, there is an easy solution for the user. To lower pitch or slow down the tempo, you need only lengthen the song. You do this by adding silence to the end of the file. Then go back and change the pitch or speed as you desire. Wavepad will do what you want it to do and throw out the silence you added.

You add silence by clicking on the end of the song and then clicking the straight line icon on the Wavepad toolbar. The program adds silence in increments of milliseconds (thousandths of a second). Thus, 30 seconds would be 30000 milliseconds. If you add too much silence, you can delete it after you change the pitch.

Wavepad asks for the speed change in percentages. I took a file, added 30 seconds of silence to the end of it, and slowed it down to 80 percent of the original speed. It truncated most of the silence. To get back to the original speed, I had to specify 120 percent (This is not mathematically correct, but it makes common sense).

Be sure and save a copy of your file before making any changes.