Converting .wma to .mp3 - weird error message

realhuman

I purchased a song from a site. I selected file format they advised (I'm on a Mac 10.4.x and want to be able to get this music onto my iPod) which was .wma. I attempted to convert using Switch which they advised (and I purchased upon their advice). I repeatedly get an error message from Switch.

Here is info from the site:

"...Mac Users.

These files can only be imported into iTunes on a Mac once converted to a Mac friendly format. The files can be played on a Mac, but in a limited way. The Microsoft website has further information regarding playing these files on a Mac. We wanted to offer Apple lossless too, but have been unable to get the rights to do this. You can also use "Switch", an audio conversion utility produced by NCH Swift Sound to convert them to aiff or wav type files which can then be easily imported at full CD audio quality in iTunes. There are many other conversion applications available to you and you should select a utility that suits your requirements.

If absolute sound quality is what you want then this file is best for you..."

Here is error message from Switch:

Error:

Cannot open the file "/Users/Helen/Desktop/Song.wma". Check it exists and you have read access."

Well, it definitely exists cause I can listen to it in WMPlayer and I've made sure the permissions all say read and write access and that I, Helen, am the owner.

So... I am REALLY REALLY frustrated and right now regret having purchased all of this stuff - song AND Switch software.

This apparently is the only help offered to me so please, if anybody has a clue... please tell me!!!! WHAT IS UP WITH THIS???!!!!

anonyms_user@yahoo.com

Guest nchto

Please read www.nch.com.au/acm/support.html#WMA:

"If the files won't work, then they are probably copy-protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). You can check for DRM protection (on a Windows machine) by loading the file into Windows Media Player and then looking under the license tab in the file's Properties; when the content is protected there will be a message to this effect."

Converting is an act of copying, and since you purchased this song it is likely infected with DRM and hence unfortunately cannot be converted.