Golden Records Vs WavePad Master

Paulie4980

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between Goldern Records and WavePad?

I just found out about Golden Records. My interest would be to convert audio cassette to a cd format.

I have tried with WavePad and the results are mixed not really satisfied with the sound

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between Goldern Records and WavePad?

I just found out about Golden Records. My interest would be to convert audio cassette to a cd format.

I have tried with WavePad and the results are mixed not really satisfied with the sound

================================================================================

WavePad is an _editor_, which means that you can use it to modify, cut, chop, add special effects, etc., etc., etc. to turn a recorded audio sound file into something which it was not before you subjected it the WavePad "meat grinder" :-)

In contrast, Golden Records simply takes a sound stream (for up to two hours in length) and converts it to an audio sound file in a _recording_ process. Note that editing is _not_ the same thing as recording--this is often missed by those in this forum who want to do recording jobs using an editor, perhaps to save the cost of separate software. I am not one of them. With sheer simplicity, Golden Records has a start button and a stop button; every time that you start and stop recording, the current file is terminated and retained (at least for a while; this seems to be a point in contention, depending upon how the program is used, which I will not get into here) on your hard drive, and a new file is started. This mode of operation is ideal for recording multiple tracks from a vinyl recording, since the space between two successive tracks of the LP can be used as a signal to begin a new file. In other words, four tracks will lead to four separate audio files--if this is what you direct it to do. But you do not _have_ to do this.

The resulting file(s) may then be edited with WavePad in a separate operation, to do whatever you wish with it (or them).

Although this software is named "Records", it is not confined to this use, as long as all that you want to do is to convert an incoming sound stream into one or more audio files, with each file limited to two hours. Indeed, I use Golden Records routinely to record the signal from an FM tuner, and then later edit the file(s) to create individual "songs" (classical pieces, in my application).

I also use the excellent program Switch Plus to convert these individual pieces, as necessary, into other file formats. Note, however, that such conversion can also be done with WavePad. However, if I don't wish to edit a file but simply to convert it to a different sound format, I prefer to use Switch Plus, since it is very easy to use and has a simple, effective, and fail-safe (at least for me) interface.

Musikone