Region and Bookmark Lists -- Saving them?

bayside

Once you set up bookmarks and regions for an audio file-- is there any way to save them so that they will be there the next time you open the file? They seem to vanish each time i save/close and shut down the application...

=================================================================

These questions are, in my opinion, answered clearly in the Help section. Have you consulted it?

Or are you saying that you do not understand what is said there about this particular subject?

Musikone

• 9 months later...

in which files are the bookmarks for a sound file stored? So that these are available later? I looked at the help and this doesn't explain it at all...

************ help text *************

You can set bookmarks anywhere in the text which later enable you easily to find the bookmarked positions. Maybe thus you want to mark positions, where you did not understand the dictator clearly, or a position, where another typist is to continue.

Ctrl+B sets bookmarks, with Ctrl+> and Ctrl+< you can move between the bookmarks. The pulldown "bookmark/open bookmark list" opens a list of all set bookmarks. There having ticked "prompt for comment when setting bookmark" you will be asked for a comment every time you set a new bookmark, later shown in the bookmark list. E.g. you want to enter: "Continue from here" or "Did you mean NIGHT or KNIGHT?".

in which files are the bookmarks for a sound file stored? So that these are available later? I looked at the help and this doesn't explain it at all...

************ help text *************

You can set bookmarks anywhere in the text which later enable you easily to find the bookmarked positions. Maybe thus you want to mark positions, where you did not understand the dictator clearly, or a position, where another typist is to continue.

Ctrl+B sets bookmarks, with Ctrl+> and Ctrl+< you can move between the bookmarks. The pulldown "bookmark/open bookmark list" opens a list of all set bookmarks. There having ticked "prompt for comment when setting bookmark" you will be asked for a comment every time you set a new bookmark, later shown in the bookmark list. E.g. you want to enter: "Continue from here" or "Did you mean NIGHT or KNIGHT?".

=================================================

You're right; this particular question is not answered in the WavePad Help file. This must be the first time that the "help" file for an NCH program has not been entirely helpful. I guess that there is a first time for everything :-)

So _I_ will answer your question now, since I did not answer it (assuming that your question is "it") the first time around.

If you use "save as" to save a bookmarked file, a separate bookmark file with the extension .wbm will be created in the same directory as the expected sound file. As long as this separate .wbm file remains in the same directory as the file which was bookmarked, this sound file (such as a .wav file) can then be reopened with WavePad and the bookmarks will appear as they were when the file was saved. However, if you delete or move the .wbm file and then open the sound file, there will be no bookmarks.

To confirm this, open an mp3 file with WavePad, bookmark it (with one or more bookmarks), then save it as a .wav file, for example. If you check the directory in which the file was saved, you will see that mysterious .wbm file. But certainly you don't need to know this; isn't it a lot more fun to try and guess these things, to keep from being bored?

Musikone

mind if i dig a little deeper - sounds like you know this product very well... can i programically save that file? the thought is to save both the voice and wbm files off as a pair and recall them later as required to the same directory. NCH mentions an SDK, but don't mention any support for bookmarks.

thanks in advance.

mind if i dig a little deeper - sounds like you know this product very well... can i programically save that file? the thought is to save both the voice and wbm files off as a pair and recall them later as required to the same directory. NCH mentions an SDK, but don't mention any support for bookmarks.

thanks in advance.

=================================

Sorry, but I do not have the answer to this question.

Musikone