DSS-Format for MAC-Users

Switchme82

Hello!

I've now spend a lot of time in searching for a fitting tool for my expectations. All i want is to load DSS-files into Express Scribe as I do it on Windows. Why is it not possible to integrate DSS-Format into the MAC-Version of Express Scribe. The second and last point I have is that I want to configure the hotkeys to control the loaded audio file on myself.

Thanxs for attention

Michael

If the goal is to get from DSS into anything else, you can use a combination of the Olympus player software (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/software_results.asp?id=1153&os=m) and Audio Hijack Pro (rogueamoeba.com), which can capture the audio stream from any source and funnel it back into a number of other formats. You have to wait for the DSS file to play all the way, but in the end, you would have (for example) an MP3 file. (Audio HJ does do m4a, but sadly, Express Scribe does not.)

Thank you for posting!

I'am shure the Hijack Pro is a good software but in cimbination with the unfunctional DSS-Player of Olympus it makes no sense. If you have another software tool for mac to convert dss in another format I would be happy.

Hope for reply!

kindly regards mike

If the goal is to get from DSS into anything else, you can use a combination of the Olympus player software (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/software_results.asp?id=1153&os=m) and Audio Hijack Pro (rogueamoeba.com), which can capture the audio stream from any source and funnel it back into a number of other formats. You have to wait for the DSS file to play all the way, but in the end, you would have (for example) an MP3 file. (Audio HJ does do m4a, but sadly, Express Scribe does not.)

DSS is a proprietary format, Olympus only gives as much support to third party developers as they choose, and right now all they choose to do is give limited support for converting from DSS on the PC platform, and no support at all on the Mac.

I did a Google for the string "convert DSS Macintosh" and found a 2004 product from Olympus (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13575&vid=169016) and a product called Switch Sound Converter, from, of all people, NCH.

Umm, okay, I have to ask the question: Do these products not do the job? I mean, it took all of 20 seconds to find them, and this is an NCH forum....

• 3 weeks later...

As TJ has said, Olympus (the creaters of DSS) give no support to third party developers for converting from DSS on a Mac, our hands are tied.