Restore from 0.aud file?

Tel2

Hi NCH,

I was part way through saving a recording in WavePad and the power to the PC was cut. This left me with a partially saved .wav file (36 MB, which is not very useful to me), and a 341 MB 0.aud file and 667 KB 0.grf file (both from the WavePad work folder). The recording was made, and was being saved, with these parameters: PCM Uncompressed, 11025 Hz, 16 bit, Mono.

I see from other posts that it might be possible to convert .aud & .grf files to a .wav, etc. If that is correct, could someone please convert my 0.aud & 0.grf files to a .wav file (preferably with the above parameters), or even a good quality mono MP3 would be fine.

My 0.aud file (and a 229 MB zipped version of it) and 0.grf file are stored in this directory:

http://tospeirs.net/test/wavepad

If someone could convert them for me please, and paste a link to the converted file below (e.g. with www.transferbigfiles.com or whatever), that would be much appreciated!

Alternatively, if you could tell me how the conversion could be done, and what the file spec' of the 0.aud file is, that could be good, too.

Thanks.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Having not received any reply to my post above, and having almost given up, I think Jesus gave me an answer while I was at church listening to a sermon last Sunday, where the pastor happened to quote some of the content of the recording that I'd lost. The thought came to me that I might be able to substitute my 2 files (0.aud and 0.grf) in place of the same named files from a new dummy recording session, and then save to the format I require. Unfortunately, while recording is in progress, those 2 files are in use, so can’t be renamed/replaced. So, I decided to:

- Start a new WavePad session, with nothing in the WavePad folder (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\WavePad).

- Then put a copy of my original 2 files in that folder.

- Change the attributes of the 2 files to read-only (right-click > Properties > ...).

- Then start recording. (It seems that WavePad doesn’t notice the files are read-only, and thinks it’s recording to those files, I guess.)

- I kept recording for at least as long as the original session (or less to just do a quick test).

- Then stop recording and close the recording window

I could then see the resulting wave form, which was now for my original recording! I could play, edit and save it, like any recording.

- I then deleted the 2 files, so the next recording session would work properly.

Mission complete – thank you Jesus!

I did all this on Windows XP with WavePad Basic Free v3.12.

Note that I have now deleted the files from the web, that I linked to in my original post.

• 9 months later...

THANK YOU for posting this. You helped me to save a 90 minute recording from a Reel to Reel tape that I might not have been able to recover otherwise!

Having not received any reply to my post above, and having almost given up, I think Jesus gave me an answer while I was at church listening to a sermon last Sunday, where the pastor happened to quote some of the content of the recording that I'd lost. The thought came to me that I might be able to substitute my 2 files (0.aud and 0.grf) in place of the same named files from a new dummy recording session, and then save to the format I require. Unfortunately, while recording is in progress, those 2 files are in use, so can’t be renamed/replaced. So, I decided to:

- Start a new WavePad session, with nothing in the WavePad folder (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\WavePad).

- Then put a copy of my original 2 files in that folder.

- Change the attributes of the 2 files to read-only (right-click > Properties > ...).

- Then start recording. (It seems that WavePad doesn’t notice the files are read-only, and thinks it’s recording to those files, I guess.)

- I kept recording for at least as long as the original session (or less to just do a quick test).

- Then stop recording and close the recording window

I could then see the resulting wave form, which was now for my original recording! I could play, edit and save it, like any recording.

- I then deleted the 2 files, so the next recording session would work properly.

Mission complete – thank you Jesus!

I did all this on Windows XP with WavePad Basic Free v3.12.

Note that I have now deleted the files from the web, that I linked to in my original post.