Version update caused problems (Mac)

joko

I have been using ExpressScribe version 4.05 for Mac for a while. It works fine, but there seems to be a bug: the program doesn't always remember where it left off. Sometimes it jumps off the file, and if I haven't made a bookmark, I have to find my place again, which is a nuisance.

So I installed the current version, and it was a nightmare. Loading files did not work smoothly. A file would slowly load, then the program would tell me it contained 0 bytes. There was no place under Control to set up the foot pedal. The audio began when I pressed the pedal, but it continued after I took my foot off the pedal. In Preferences, I unchecked the option for the bubble to appear each time I loaded a file, but it still kept appearing. I decided all these problems weren't worth it, so I retrieved my old version and deleted the new one.

I am relatively new to the Mac. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something stupid? I'm using Mac OX 10.5.6 (Leopard).

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few known issues with the latest version for Mac. The problem with foot pedal preferences has been noted somewhere on this forum, but I've not encountered the other problems you describe. I use FLAC and MP3 files and they've all loaded properly--actually FLACs work better in the latest version than the previous one. That's not to say these aren't bugs--just that I haven't encountered them.