problem after installing suite

deane

I installed these programs this afternoon:

Wavepad sound editor

Soundpad streaming audio

Switch sound file converter

Telephony related programs

Video related programs

and after the install, had no volume on Firefox (no sound on YouTube videos), on Microsoft Outlook (usually have sound when an email is received) and no sound on Yahoo Instant Messenger when receiving a message. I can play the same YouTube videos on Internet Explorer, and the volume is fine, and I heard a sound accompanying a Windows alert message. I'm using Windows Vista and current versions of the browsers. It seems there was some notice as I was installing that a different driver or sound playback device would be used, but I'm not sure what the notice was or whether or not it might relate to my problem.

Now that I have rebooted (after an install of Windows Vista Service Pack 1), I have no sound on anything. On the Vista support page, I learned that the alert to install Service Pack 1 can be triggered by a change in drivers, so I'm wondering if the installation of the Switch suite might've changed a driver. However, Service Pack 1 did not solve the problem.

I opened my Control Panel Sound info and I see that I have Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC, driver version 6.10.0.5290, and it's working properly. When I run a test of digital outpup device (SPDIF) properties under the Advanced tab, I see an indication in color that something is happening, but I hear nothing. You can see by my description that I don't know anything about the sound devices, so if you answer, please explain in layman's terms.

Can you help me figure out what's wrong?

Thank you!

--deane