Transcription Cut off

texasmama71

Hi everyone:

I am transcribing files that seem to be cut off meaning that the dictation comes to an end but the dictator has not finished the dictation. I know this because I used an older version to do some files that were complete. I then used the newer version of Express Scribe and those same files were cut off. Could this be related to a setting?

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

Hi everyone:

I am transcribing files that seem to be cut off meaning that the dictation comes to an end but the dictator has not finished the dictation. I know this because I used an older version to do some files that were complete. I then used the newer version of Express Scribe and those same files were cut off. Could this be related to a setting?

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

Try this: Look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe\Current, and see if the wav files there are the full length they should be. Probably the best way to tell is right click and "open file with" whatever player you prefer such as Windows Media Player. If they are the right length, maybe you can then load THEM into ExpressScribe. Since they don't have the same name in that Current folder, you can guestimate which is which by when they were created. In the Current folder, click on View on the toolbar, go to "Choose Details" and add either "Date Created" or "Date Modified" as you like. They should be created in the same order you loaded them into the Express Scribe window.

I'm just trying to think of a quick fix to save your transcriptions, but I'll let Tech handle the problems, like what format were they and so on.

Good luck, KRN

Guest nchto

We're currently looking into this. We changed the way files were loaded due to complaints that it took too long to process. The current method may be having problems with certain aspects of these files due to the removed redundancies.

I found out that the software that was original used to create the dictation was done using a Sony software. Could this be part of the problem? they are dvf files. I want to use express scribe and not sure if I can convert the files. I hope that makes sense.

I found out that the software that was original used to create the dictation was done using a Sony software. Could this be part of the problem? they are dvf files. I want to use express scribe and not sure if I can convert the files. I hope that makes sense.

There's a whole thread on the problem of loading Sony files (msv/dvf) going back to February, called something like "Files not loading properly." There are several ways to deal with the problem, while Scribe's techs work on it...

Best fix: If you have Sony's editing software, which comes with the voice recorder, you can use that to convert to wav. Then load to Scribe.

Next: If you don't have Sony's software, download Switch Plus converter from NCH; it will work for free for two weeks for things like Sony and Windows Media, and then you either have to buy it, or only use it for simpler conversions like mp3/wav as unlicensed user.

Next: download a version of Scribe that doesn't have some of the nice features of the later versions, but does load msv/dvf and wma files.

Version 4.05 is available as a zip file here:

I found a zip file of ES v4.05 from October 2006 at www.download.com. Search for it under "Express Scribe" not ExpressScribe."

I would recommend saving the latest essetup.exe in the C:\program files\nch swift sound folder, and then you can switch off installing that and the earlier version as you need to. Good luck, KRN

• 2 months later...
We're currently looking into this. We changed the way files were loaded due to complaints that it took too long to process. The current method may be having problems with certain aspects of these files due to the removed redundancies.

Hi guys, can you please let us know when you expect to be able to release a new version that deals with this bug? I just experienced it with an 2½ hour wma file which was converted to 16bit mp3 using NCH Switch. The mp3 once loaded into express scribe only plays for 1 hour 9mins. I opened the mp3 file in Audacity and resaved at the same bitrate using the Lame mp3 codec at 24bit constant stereo and suprise Express Scribe this time happily played the entire file?

Please fix this soon :(