Networking Issues

rr69

I hope that the following description of my problem is sufficient to get a clear picture of wat is happening...

I have an Speedtouch 706 voice modem/router whitch holds the external IPaddress. On the internal network i have 3 vmware w2k3 machines with static Ipaddresses. On one of those w2k3 machines I installed AXON and IVM answering attendant. The (nat) router is set to forward ports 5060 trough 5065 and ports 8000 trough 8020 to the w2k3 machine Axon runs on (192.168.0.20).

Network settings for AXON:

Internal IPaddress: 192.168.0.20

Set the static external IPadress to w2k3 server's static ipaddress 192.168.0.20)

No Stun servers ofr uPNP configured.

External ports: RTP 8000 SIP 5060

Internal ports: RTP 8000 SIP 5060

Configured an extention 101, after 3 rings it transfers to extention 199.

Configured an extention 199

Configured an external Line to Voipbuster, which registers fine.

Set extention 101 to use Voipbuster

Network settings for IVM:

Set the static external IPadress to w2k3 server's static ipaddress (192.168.0.20)

External ports: RTP 8000 SIP 5070

Internal ports: RTP 8000 SIP 5070

Configured an voip entry to register extention 199.

Router:

Configured the voip port on the router to use extention 101.

When i call 199 from the phone attached to the voip modem/router, i get the welcoming message from IVM. So internally everything works.

But when i try to call from an outside line to the Voipbuster account, nothing happens. I once got a connection, but the second time it didn't work anymore. (Didn't change the configuration.)

I like to have an stable connection from the outside in to my phone, if that works i can set up more Voip accounts and distribute them throughout the house.

Anybody a clue what im doing wrong??

Kind regards RR69

All I can say is good luck with the NAT router. I gave up on my NAT router because I could not get Axon to work through it no matter what I did. I ended up with a Linksys that uses packet sniffing instead of NAT and so far I have had no problems with the system, other than dropped calls because my DSL connection is to slow.

I hope that the following description of my problem is sufficient to get a clear picture of wat is happening...

I have an Speedtouch 706 voice modem/router whitch holds the external IPaddress. On the internal network i have 3 vmware w2k3 machines with static Ipaddresses. On one of those w2k3 machines I installed AXON and IVM answering attendant. The (nat) router is set to forward ports 5060 trough 5065 and ports 8000 trough 8020 to the w2k3 machine Axon runs on (192.168.0.20).

Network settings for AXON:

Set the static external IPadress to w2k3 server's static ipaddress 192.168.0.20)

External ports: RTP 8000 SIP 5060

Internal ports: RTP 8000 SIP 5060

Configured an extention 101, after 3 rings it transfers to extention 199.

Configured an extention 199

Configured an external Line to Voipbuster, which registers fine.

Set extention 101 to use Voipbuster

Network settings for IVM:

Set the static external IPadress to w2k3 server's static ipaddress (192.168.0.20)

External ports: RTP 8000 SIP 5070

Internal ports: RTP 8000 SIP 5070

Configured an voip entry to register extention 199.

Router:

Configured the voip port on the router to use extention 101.

When i call 199 from the phone attached to the voip modem/router, i get the welcoming message from IVM. So internally everything works.

But when i try to call from an outside line to the Voipbuster account, nothing happens. I once got a connection, but the second time it didn't work anymore. (Didn't change the configuration.)

I like to have an stable connection from the outside in to my phone, if that works i can set up more Voip accounts and distribute them throughout the house.

Anybody a clue what im doing wrong??

Kind regards RR69

Which model linksys do you use, and what specific feature has to be on it??

Regards RR69

All I can say is good luck with the NAT router. I gave up on my NAT router because I could not get Axon to work through it no matter what I did. I ended up with a Linksys that uses packet sniffing instead of NAT and so far I have had no problems with the system, other than dropped calls because my DSL connection is to slow.

I apologize I should have explained my situation a little better. While I do have my system placing and receiving calls I cannot get call transfers or my Music On Hold to work through my phones yet, I have Sipura 800 and 900 series phones. Everything works great through my telephone server directly but once everything starts going out over the network booommm. I had an audio routing issue which I resolved partially but I still have not resolved my music on hold issue. I can dial into IMS through extension 197 and I can hear the music fine but if someone calls in and they get placed on hold through the phone you cannot hear any music. Anyway the Linksys I am using is a WRT54G version 5 and it uses what they call packet sniffing security. It can be setup to use NAT but run screaming from NAT when it come to VOIP. I have read a number of white papers on VOIP and NAT and have come to the conclusion that VOIP and NAT do not like each other. Make sure you get version 5. I would highly recommend getting the newer WRT54GL as it still uses a sniffer firewall but it also has some newer and more secure encryption schemes. Hope this helps, let me know in a post if it did the trick for you. The only other thing I can tell you is be very careful about how you route cables through your network. After days of screwing around on mine I realized that the problem was the telephone server. It was on an old hub that was attached to the back of the unit so I had forgotten that it was there. Once I rerouted the server through the linksys directly I regained alot of the audio that I was losing. Oh to have a couple hundred thousand dollars and just call Dell........

Which model linksys do you use, and what specific feature has to be on it??

Regards RR69

I solved part of the problem..

The speedtouch modem/router (5xx/6xx/7xx) series have protocol bindings in place, which prevent routing of certain protocols.

Ive made a telnetsession to the modem, and went to the connection menu.

Did an unbind of the sip protocol and everything started to work.

I made static entries in axon, and opened the ports on the router.

Ritstele registers fine now (have to specify the port in the userid).

A few problems persist:

The external Voipbuster entry registers fine, outside calls ring on the internal extentions. but after 5 to 10 minutes outside calls dont ring anymore. I can still call an outside line from an internal extention.

The external Ritstele entry registers fine, but when i call to this account, it only works for about 10 seconds, after that i get disconnected.

Who can help me out!

• 2 weeks later...
I solved part of the problem..

The speedtouch modem/router (5xx/6xx/7xx) series have protocol bindings in place, which prevent routing of certain protocols.

Ive made a telnetsession to the modem, and went to the connection menu.

Did an unbind of the sip protocol and everything started to work.

I made static entries in axon, and opened the ports on the router.

Ritstele registers fine now (have to specify the port in the userid).

A few problems persist:

The external Voipbuster entry registers fine, outside calls ring on the internal extentions. but after 5 to 10 minutes outside calls dont ring anymore. I can still call an outside line from an internal extention.

The external Ritstele entry registers fine, but when i call to this account, it only works for about 10 seconds, after that i get disconnected.

Who can help me out!

Almost everything solved..

It had to do with the application Layer Gateway (ALG).

Here is how:

First i did a telnet session to the speedtouch unbinding the SIP helper from port 5060 in the connection menu.

Then changed the external IP of AXON to 192.168.0.254 port 5060 which is in my case the internal address of the ALG of the speedtouch router.

Set the internal portnumber of axon to 5070.

And everything workes like a charm........