Wont convert to MP3 from WMA

When trying to convert from a WMA file to MP3 it will not work, "the file could not be opened" comes up. iv downloaded a WMAWAV component and it still will not work, the files i try to convert are from either an album or a music download program - imesh. they convert from MP3 to WMA but not the other way round. were am i going wrong? :blink:

When trying to convert from a WMA file to MP3 it will not work, "the file could not be opened" comes up. iv downloaded a WMAWAV component and it still will not work, the files i try to convert are from either an album or a music download program - imesh. they convert from MP3 to WMA but not the other way round. were am i going wrong? :blink:

===============================================================

Blink no more--but HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT!!

If you have the stamina and temerity, you can go through a series of steps which I am providing below, that I believe will permit Switch (at least Switch Plus, which is what I use and have a license for) to convert from WMA to MP3, which is precisely what you want to do. However, you must follow this series of steps exactly as I outline them below.

On your mark--get set--GO!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP #1:

Go to the following website:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP #2:

On this page, under "Lossless", click on Windows Media Audio Microsoft's Lossless Audio [.wma, .asf, .wmv]

This takes you to a new page

STEP #6

On this new page, you will find a download labeled "Windows Media Audio 10 Pro Release 3"

with a choice of either Windows XP or Windows Vista

Choose the one which fits your operating system.

After this extensive download is complete, you should be able to load your .wma file into Switch!

I think...... :-)

Musikone

P.S. I believe that all of this business is free--at least temporarily. But I am not sure whether or not the dBpoweramp portion of it will evaporate after a 30-day trial period. I don't know about this, nor will I, since I have a registered license for this software which I purchased afterward.

If you try this, I hope that it works for you. If not, you have lost nothing but some time and perseverance and a test of your ability to follow a detailed list of instructions :-) Not only that, you have been introduced to a secret and mysterious world unknown to a vast world of computer audio enthusiasts. But if you chicken out without taking the plunge, I can sympathize with your choice. And I'm sure that Microsoft will understand; as you know, they are infinitely understanding :-)

Good luck.

thanks for trying to help but when i clicked on the link it told me that the page cannot be displayed...i tried this on firefox and internet explorer, whether this meens that the link is wrong or my internet is playing up (which seems to be fine with everything else) beings as you know all the top secrets of the internet :P , could you suggest anything else, i would be very grateful if you could. thanks

thanks for trying to help but when i clicked on the link it told me that the page cannot be displayed...i tried this on firefox and internet explorer, whether this meens that the link is wrong or my internet is playing up (which seems to be fine with everything else) beings as you know all the top secrets of the internet :P , could you suggest anything else, i would be very grateful if you could. thanks

==========================================================================

Which link is it that you clicked on but could not bring up the page?

Is it the first one that I gave? Namely:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wi...media-audio.htm

I just typed this URL into the line on my Internet Explorer and up came the page with the large letters "Illustrate" at the top (this is the company which publishes the dBpowerAMP software, through which you can get that new Windows Media Audio Pro 10 Release 3. As I understand it, Microsoft is not yet releasing this professional version of Windows Media Audio for general distribution.

Anyway, this link produced the required page immediately on _my_ computer using Windows XP! I suspect that you made a typographical error when you typed in the above URL into your web browser. So try it again, checking your URL very, very carefully. By the way, are you using Internet Explorer version 7? I suspect that this is necessary in order to get there from here.

Post your result as soon as you get it (one way or the other) and I will be watching to see what you come up with. At the moment, I do not understand what the problem is.

Musikone

• 1 month later...

I have encountered the same difficulty but! I'm using a mac. I installed it, and it was all well and good. I told it a few .wma files to convert then I pressed the magic button. It told me to go download flip4mac and I did that. I told it to convert the files again and this time I got no error messages but a little red X was put next to each file and nothing else happened. These files are *not* DRM protected, they were ripped from a genuine store-bought CD onto a windows computer. Any words of wisdom you might offer would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...