Running Balance for Credit Cards is backwards.

Brumby

I have several hundred items to manually enter. All are Credit Card charges and Payments/Refunds. However, Charges are being subtracted from the running total and payments/refunds are added. Made sure the Credit Card function was selected. Obviously this is the procedure for a Check Book and not CC. ----- Furthermore, having to input this many charges (about 95%) are ALL debits but the debit listing in the pull down insists in returning back to Credit each time. Why can't these pull downs be locked into place? Am I missing something??? = Thanks

Hi Brumby. If you have selected an account that is set to a credit card account, "deposit" transaction type (drop down) are treated the same as payments to your credit card, and "debit" transaction type (drop down) would be the same as a charge against your credit card. For credit accounts a charge makes your balance go up, and a payment makes your balance go down - opposite of what happens if you do the same thing in an account type of checking or savings. You probably already understand this, but I have checked that the software is working properly so I am not sure exactly what you are having problems with...? I can tell you that when entering a transaction the default is "deposit" - you can open the drop down and change it to whatever you like, but you are not able to change the fact that it "locks" to "Deposit" for each new transaction entry. If you have selected a credit card account and you enter a "Debit" then your balance will increase in MoneyLine. If you have created a savings or checking account type then the impact on your running balance for a deposit is to increase it, and debit to decrease it. I have entered a suggestion to change the MoneyLine account type "debit" to be "charge" or "POS" in order to reduce any confusion when switching between a credit card account type and a checking or savings account type. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Similar question, I import from a CSV file, The"amount" field is going into the Deposit as a negative. It should be a charge (positive). When I changed one transaction to Purchase, it goes into the charge column, as a negative, so I changed it to a positive.  This is extremely unwieldy to do this to every charge. I then can not change it back to what it was, namely a negative deposit.  Is there a way to properly import the CVS file values as charges? Also I have to open the CVS file in Excel and change the Dates-which are Labels ie text, to the DATE format. Is there some special character that Moneyline needs to decipher what should be a date?