Volume Control Level Meaning

Hike

I cannot find in the help file (V1.10) the meaning of the red vs green levels displayed for the audio during recording. There are two interpretations I can see:

1) The red represents some clipping beyond the green level. The audio volume should be adjusted so there is no red during recording.

2) The red represents peak levels above the green level. As long as the red does not touch top top of the displayed box (ie. pin the red at the end), distortion does not occur. Green represents average levels.

How to use the display to optimize the full amplitude range of the record in short ?

Guest Guest_Hike_*
hi, the red/green level in the VU meter is used to represent the loudness of the recording source. When it is over 0db then the level will be changed to red. We usually recommend our customers to use the record volume of -30db.

Thank you, but I am now left with the question, that if the red/green levels only represent levels w/o reference to clipping, how does one optimize the levels for recording ? While -30 db is recommended, I note that that level gives on the waveform display peaks way below the maximum that can be displayed.

So is the display of the peaks and the 'headroom' above the peaks in the display on playback unrelated to maximum peak levels ?

i just spent some hours to test RecordPad for my vinyls , it works properly at -28 or -30db (-30 let very few occasion of saturation)

the NCH products seems robust and simple like a good land-rover

congratulations!

for my personal projets

may i post some general question arout the tools and their possible 'imbedding' in windows/internet appli?

on the other side what kind a sound-card should i use to read and code properly my very good vinyl sound (..using 44.1 or higher ??)

is there a portable 'external' box doing that ?

bye and thanks for the base you allow to use with hospitality!