Switch crashing on WMA file conversion

jmn111

I had a free copy which worked fine until today when I tried to convert a WMA file to MP3 - Switch crashed.

I tried uploading the software again - removed the old version, put the redownloaded file in my Applications folder.

Same thing - crashed when I tried converting the WMA file.

I purchased a licence - as far as I can tell Switch is now registered.

However, it's still crashing!

What do I do?

I need this WMA file converted to MP3 so I can send it to my chorus section leader.

Can anybody please help.

Mac 10.6.2 (Intel)

I had a free copy which worked fine until today when I tried to convert a WMA file to MP3 - Switch crashed.

Same thing happening to me. I see you're using a different O/S than mine. I just downloaded a free copy of Switch and tried to convert some wma files to mp3, and it crashes every time. Tried wma files from a different source after the first crash. Didn't make a difference. For both groups of files, after clicking Convert, it starts to run, I see scroll msg that file is being saved, and then app crashes. I don't think I'm going to struggle with it -- seems buggy to me. I'm going to look for another converter but thought I would at least "me-too" your report of crashing behavior. Good luck, wish I could help you.

Power PC G5, OSX 10.4.11

Same thing happening to me. I see you're using a different O/S than mine. I just downloaded a free copy of Switch and tried to convert some wma files to mp3, and it crashes every time. Tried wma files from a different source after the first crash. Didn't make a difference. For both groups of files, after clicking Convert, it starts to run, I see scroll msg that file is being saved, and then app crashes. I don't think I'm going to struggle with it -- seems buggy to me. I'm going to look for another converter but thought I would at least "me-too" your report of crashing behavior. Good luck, wish I could help you.

Power PC G5, OSX 10.4.11

I am on MacBook Pro (4,1; early 2008) 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM running OS 10.5.8 and using Switch 1.50 for Intel. I purchased Switch on 04 SEPT 2009, and have used it a little. It used to convert WMA to MP3 just fine. Now it does not. I thought I had corrupted a WMA file or something, but I have tried totally good, new files, and my experience is the same as that of "djv" -- it starts to convert, says it's saving a file, then the beachball shows up and the application crashes. I also uninstalled (with AppCleaner) and re-installed a newly downloaded version of Switch. Same problem.

Another strange thing is that WavePad (also purchased as the same time) also will not open WMA files. I get this message: "Error loading file. WavePad could not open the file [location and name] properly. It may be corrupted or an unsupported format."

I think maybe I was on OS 10.5.7 when I started using Switch/WavePad, and they worked on WMA files (I do NOT know for sure that I was using 10.5.7 then). Maybe something Apple changed affects this?

Please help us, NCH! Thank you!

I got this reply from support to a question I sent them directly about this problem on 24 NOV 2009:

"This is a known bug and it is getting looked at to be fixed soon. It is some compatibility issue with the most recent version of Flip4Mac. There is no ETA on a fix right now and the only solution is to roll back to an earlier version of Flip4Mac."

At that time I was using the currently up-to-date version of Flip4Mac WMV 2.3.0.14. Just today I downgraded to 2.2.3.7 and now Switch and WavePad work fine.

Just thought anyone who finds this thread would like to know. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Me too. Do as he says - it will work fine.

I got this reply from support to a question I sent them directly about this problem on 24 NOV 2009:

"This is a known bug and it is getting looked at to be fixed soon. It is some compatibility issue with the most recent version of Flip4Mac. There is no ETA on a fix right now and the only solution is to roll back to an earlier version of Flip4Mac."

At that time I was using the currently up-to-date version of Flip4Mac WMV 2.3.0.14. Just today I downgraded to 2.2.3.7 and now Switch and WavePad work fine.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having trouble finding Flip4Mac 2.2.3.7 (or anything older than the current version). Where can I download it?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble finding Flip4Mac 2.2.3.7 (or anything older than the current version). Where can I download it?

I had the same problem. I found version 2.2.2.3 here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/261435402/Flip4Mac_2.2.3.7.zip

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YB0YTUNH

I installed it and Switch is again converting properly from WMV to MP3. I really hope they can fix this problem soon, as I just bought the program and this is the reason why I bought it.