How do I save video so I can post online?

ocrob37

Hi all,

I finally got sick of Windows Movie Maker freezing up on me and I downloaded this software today. I made a video that I am very happy with, but have no idea how to save it as a file that I can upload to Vimeo. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated. The software itself is pretty nice and if I can figure out how to upload to a video sharing site, then I will be extremely happy.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi all,

I finally got sick of Windows Movie Maker freezing up on me and I downloaded this software today. I made a video that I am very happy with, but have no idea how to save it as a file that I can upload to Vimeo. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated. The software itself is pretty nice and if I can figure out how to upload to a video sharing site, then I will be extremely happy.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm not subscribed to Vimeo so I can only go by what is published on their help pages. They say that you can upload any kind of video, so you should test that by making one and giving it a go.

To create a new video file from the sequence you have created in VideoPad, you 'build' the video. Click the Build icon in the top menu bar and you will be given options for the type of output to 'build'. Select the 'windows PC' option, and select the parameters that you want the new video to have from the build window. The format, resolution and sound specs should be pre-selected with something sane, and you can play with them to select different output types.

When the build has completed, look for the built file in the location selected in the build window, and give it a run with a media player on your PC to check it seems OK. Also check the size of the built video file to make sure it is not too outrageously large to load up on Vimeo.

I don't subscribe to Vimeo so you will have to check their help pages for instructions to upload the video file. Try http://www.vimeo.com/help as a starting point.

Hope that helps a little.

Bruce

Hi Rob,

I'm not subscribed to Vimeo so I can only go by what is published on their help pages. They say that you can upload any kind of video, so you should test that by making one and giving it a go.

To create a new video file from the sequence you have created in VideoPad, you 'build' the video. Click the Build icon in the top menu bar and you will be given options for the type of output to 'build'. Select the 'windows PC' option, and select the parameters that you want the new video to have from the build window. The format, resolution and sound specs should be pre-selected with something sane, and you can play with them to select different output types.

When the build has completed, look for the built file in the location selected in the build window, and give it a run with a media player on your PC to check it seems OK. Also check the size of the built video file to make sure it is not too outrageously large to load up on Vimeo.

I don't subscribe to Vimeo so you will have to check their help pages for instructions to upload the video file. Try http://www.vimeo.com/help as a starting point.

Hope that helps a little.

Bruce

Bruce, thanks for trying to help me out. All that I want to do is save my video as an avi file and upload it to a video hosting site like Vimeo. Usually I will save a movie file from Movie Maker and then upload it to Vimeo. It seems video pad saves the movie in a different file format. When I hit the browse button, my video does not show up to upload. Any suggestions?

All that I want to do is save my video as an avi file and upload it to a video hosting site like Vimeo.

Hi Rob,

In VideoPad, you don't Save or Save As your video, that saves the project file, which is not the same thing. To save the video you've been editing, you need to 'Build' a new video from the edited video. When you click the 'Build' menu, you'll get options as described above, and you should select avi type from the menus if that's the file type you want.

If you've been using Save or Save As you'll find a .vpj file has been created. That's the file that holds the information about your video editing project, not the video file itself.

Hope that helps,

Bruce

It took me awhile to figure it out also. To save your clip when you're finished, you must move your clip to the "Sequence" section of the editor, then click build. To move your clip to the "Sequence" section, click on the green down arrow next to clips in the top left box.