Wavepad Masters edition

bettei

I have a video clip with audio that I wish to use in a slideshow. However, it uses Quicktime to open it, so I converted the file to an avi output with Prizm. I was able to convert the file, and it will play in the slideshow, but it does not have the audio with it.

So I tried to open my free version of Wavepad and try to do something with the audio. It prompted me that I could not do that without upgrading to your Wavepad Masters edition. So that is what I did, and registered it.

So I went back to open that converted file, and now Wavepad said it could not open that type of file. I feel like I just wasted a lot of money, since it did not do what I wanted it to do. I would not have upgraded had I known this. Makes me very unhappy.

Guest MichaelJee

Hi,

1 - What OS are you using, what file type is the original source video?

As the file association on your machine, opened Quicktime, ill assume it’s a .mov file.

I just got a 60s .mov, used Prism to convert it into an .avi, and then waited 5 seconds for WavePad to output a .mp3 file – it works fine.

2 – When you convert the file into a .avi, does it play with sound with a decoder? What decoder are you using? Please try VLC

3 – How long is the video clip of yours, could you get it to me?

See YouSendIt

Thanks

Michael

Hi,

1 - What OS are you using, what file type is the original source video?

As the file association on your machine, opened Quicktime, ill assume it’s a .mov file.

I just got a 60s .mov, used Prism to convert it into an .avi, and then waited 5 seconds for WavePad to output a .mp3 file – it works fine.

2 – When you convert the file into a .avi, does it play with sound with a decoder? What decoder are you using? Please try VLC

3 – How long is the video clip of yours, could you get it to me?

See YouSendIt

Thanks

Michael

Michael,

I have XP Media editon 2005. And it will open the video clip I got from my daughter's camera, but it opens in it's own window with controls at the bottom instead of just playing it. I copied it several times, and in different ways, and I did get it through Prism as an avi file, and that does show up in the slideshow I wanted to make, I just can't get the audio to come with it, no matter what I try to do with it. At Prism I even tried to make it to an mpg, video mpeg2, audio-sample rate 48000, bit rate:128, still no audio. DVDPixplay is the slideshow program I have and I know it accepts wma, mpeg and apparently avi because I asked for their help also in converting this. It seems to be a codec problem. Do you know if you have to have Kodak's easy share software on your computer to share their pictures more easily?

And my windows media says it does not have the codec to open the file after it has been converted. The first thing I tried was media-convert, didn't work. And I also tried Zamzar, and it came back with a failed attempt also.

It's a 21.9 mb size vid clip taken with a Kodak camera, and I have a 56k dsl line, so would that be too large a file to email? Otherwise, if I mailed you a link to where I have downloaded it to Photobucket and it's public, could you download it from there? On it's properties, it just says it's a Quicktime movie, so I don't know why it came from a Kodak camera like that.

And I tried to open your link to VLC, but I got a security warning not to do that, so I didn't. I have used a mixture of video clips and still images in slideshows many times before, and have never come across anything like this. And I would just give up on it, but it's an important video clip, and I really would like to incorporate it into this slideshow.

I ran across this link that might help explain the problem I am having with the audio and Kodak cameras. If after reading it, you have some suggestions other than buying Quicktime Pro, I would really appreciate it. I am not that computer savy, so if you can help, that would be great.

kodak problems

So if you could get back to me about emailing you a file this size, or getting it from Photobucket, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Guest MichaelJee

Hi,

I would think the issue here must be the exact implementation of .mov that Kodak uses on some camera's. I used to own a Kodac camera and the .mov files easily converted. I was using Windows Media Encoder at the time just fine.

Do you know if you have to have Kodak's easy share software on your computer to share their pictures more easily?

The Kodak camera I used to have, appeared in windows as a mobile mass storage device in “My Computer”

You could simply right click and “explore” I personally find most of the proprietary software awkward and restrictive.

Once the raw photo / video data is off the device, onto my machine, it can be manipulated like any other file.

VLC – Suggest you search the WWW regarding VLC, 13 million hits cant be wrong

22MB file – Are other .mov files from the camera just as troublesome? Assuming yes, please take a small test video and send it to me over email (or a hosting service)

Cheers

M

Michael,

I did download the VLC program. I then went to media/opened the folder, and the video clip I want to convert does play with it's audio in the VLC window.

Then it got a little confusing, not as simple as the Prism converter. When I select convert, nothing seems to be happening. It asked where to save it, and nothing does. Isn't there a progress bar or any indication that the file is being converted? When I open it with VLC, it just starts playing, so do you stop it, and then click on convert? I added it to a playlist, tried to save it in my slideshow program files, and I got a error that it wouldn't open the codec. So I guess that means VLC won't work either??

So could you possibly tell me step by step on how to convert this file to an mpg/videompeg2/bit rate128/audio sample rate 48000 or even an avi file that will have the audio, and how to save it? I know my slideshow program will accept mpeg and avi files.

If you could help me with this, it would be very much appreciated..

And this is the only video from a Kodak camera I have ever worked with, and it has been the most frustrating thing I have ever messed with.

Guest MichaelJee

Hi,

To clear some confusion. I suggested the use of a proper player like VLC as WMP has its own quirks for troubleshoot (ie, its rubbish) For troubleshooting, I just wanted to see if VLC would play the Prism output (and it did) Its not to be used in conjunction with anything (it can though, I recommend you research the product)

Now I think about it, maybe using VLC for stripping the audio in your case is the best idea.

I don’t have the time to teach you how to use all the functions of VLC, but to achieve what you are looking for.

1 – Open VLC, click Media > Convert / Save > *locate file* > Convert / Save >

2 - Tick “File” and choose output location

3 – Audio Codec tab > *tick the “Audio” checkbox*

4 – Select the output codec you want (.mp3 in this case I would assume)

5 – Click > Save, and you’ll have an audio file appear at your output location.

The file should be a fairly ordinary .mp3 and should be accepted by your SlideShow.

Re-reading over your query, I’m not sure if you wanted just the audio or both in your slideshow, so alternatively you can use VLC to convert the .mov to a .mpg. I just completed this and it works fine. You’ll have to of course, tick the video checkbox as well.

As I did say above, I’m not going to be able to replicate your exact issue, until I have a sample .mov from your camera in our lab.

Cheers

M

Hi,

To clear some confusion. I suggested the use of a proper player like VLC as WMP has its own quirks for troubleshoot (ie, its rubbish) For troubleshooting, I just wanted to see if VLC would play the Prism output (and it did) Its not to be used in conjunction with anything (it can though, I recommend you research the product)

Now I think about it, maybe using VLC for stripping the audio in your case is the best idea.

I don’t have the time to teach you how to use all the functions of VLC, but to achieve what you are looking for.

1 – Open VLC, click Media > Convert / Save > *locate file* > Convert / Save >

2 - Tick “File” and choose output location

3 – Audio Codec tab > *tick the “Audio” checkbox*

4 – Select the output codec you want (.mp3 in this case I would assume)

5 – Click > Save, and you’ll have an audio file appear at your output location.

The file should be a fairly ordinary .mp3 and should be accepted by your SlideShow.

Re-reading over your query, I’m not sure if you wanted just the audio or both in your slideshow, so alternatively you can use VLC to convert the .mov to a .mpg. I just completed this and it works fine. You’ll have to of course, tick the video checkbox as well.

As I did say above, I’m not going to be able to replicate your exact issue, until I have a sample .mov from your camera in our lab.

Cheers

M

I did want both audio and video for my slideshow. While VLC will open the file and play it, it will not convert it, it says it cannot decode it or something. So I guess I will have to give up on this.

I also have a complaint, not that you can help with it, but not only did I think that I was purchasing Wavepad because I thougt it would work for my project and it didn't, I have gotten my charge statement, and it is for more than $8.00 more than the price that was listed on the download page. So I paid $47.58 for a program that is worthless to me, and I feel ripped off. I certainly will pass this along to my friends to stay away from this, so they won't get burned like I did.

Guest MichaelJee
While VLC will open the file and play it, it will not convert it, it says it cannot decode it or something. So I guess I will have to give up on this.

Or something? It doesn't sound like you want to get this working Bette. If you did you would have maybe noticed my repeated offers above, which again include,

- asking you to make a small sample video for us to analysus in the lab

- Provide accurate, detailed feedback so i can assist you best

…I also have a complaint, not that you can help with it…

Going by my posts above, and the amount of time i have spent testing your issue, researching Kodak camera's, experimenting with Kodak devices here in the office and mind numbingly converting dozens of .mov files, I respectfully disagree with your statement.

Note: I have just seen your ticket "BLY-12857-366" come in, and am responsible for answering you. I can gaurentee ill be asking you the same line of questions as I am here.

Hi Bette

the $8 is for support, of which It seems your getting your moneys worth.

It is also an option you can choose to turn it off, but you of course need to read the purchase page in full.

Hi Bette

the $8 is for support, of which It seems your getting your moneys worth.

It is also an option you can choose to turn it off, but you of course need to read the purchase page in full.

This is what I have tried to do. I tried to email you this file, it was too large at 21.9mb and I got an error message from Outlook saying it was too large to mail. I called my IP and asked for their help, they told me it was not within their support area, referred me to Microsoft. Called them, I would have to pay them a $59 fee to get my question answered about making the file smaller so I could email this to you. My HP computer is 2 years old, and I can't get free help either.

So as I told you in an email, I downloaded a Quicktime program to my computer, went to that file, selected "open with" choose the Quicktime option. I got a message that it did not have the right codec, and it lead me to a Quicktime site to download the needed codecs. It looked like I needed something called XVID. Downloaded and installed that program, and it does not seem to make any difference in how that clip opens. My Windows will open it, so will Quicktime, but I can't find the right program to edit and convert it to an avi or mpg file.

And you suggested I take another shorter clip and send it to you, but this did not come from my camera, I used the media sd card from that Kodak camera that took the original clip and downloaded directly to my computer. I even downloaded a Kodak Easy share software cd hoping that it had a place in that program that might save and view it in another format that would work for my slideshow, but all I could do is get it copied to a cd that I could possibly mail to you by postal service? Or else is there a free program like Winzip that I could get and zip the file and mail it to you?

I also opened Wavepad again, and I can get the audio only to play of this clip. Would it do any good to run that and shorten the file and save it, then email you an audio only file? I also thought about opening Prism and cutting the file in half, but my free trial period is over for that. So I have been trying everything I can think of.

I don't mind paying a fee to get this file converted so I can use it. I would not have gone for the Wavepad upgrade if I would have just gotten a message like "cannot encode this file". Instead I got a message that I would need to purchase the Master's edition in order to do that. So being desperate and on a deadline to finish my project...I did that. Without that message, I would not have upgraded. I am not even sure if an upgrade to the Prism software would work. Is there any guarantee that Prism would convert this file? I hesitiate to keep paying for upgrades when I am not sure if it would work.

And then I went again to the Quicktime website and checked out Quicktime Pro. It does say that it will convert files to avi....but I am finding out the hard way there are many different ones of those too. I would pay the $20 upgrade fee on that if I knew it would work, but hesitiate to throw more money down the drain for something that won't do the job I need it to.

And as for you comment "you can choose to turn it off" ??? What exactly do you mean by that? I am trying to get this to work, or find the right program that will do it. I simply inquired if Wavepad won't work for me and if Prism would, if I could exchange the license key and have a program that works for me.

I hope this explains my situation a little better....and if you have any suggestions on what further to do, I would like to hear them also.

Thanks

Guest MichaelJee

Locking this thread.

Bette, you have correctly opened a support ticket and we will be working with you through it.

I have spent more time describing how to simply get hold of this file, then actually getting to the bottom of the real issue.

Cheers

M