What symmetric NAT and RTP/UDP are???

laomedon

Hello,

I’ve downloaded ’’IVM Answering Attendant’’ and ‘’express talk’’ for my business.

I use a sip account;

I can call out going and receive calls ingoing with ‘’express talk’’.

But after I’ve entered my sip account (sip number, password, and proxy) in IVM Answering as for ‘’express talk’’, I received this message:

“A ‘symmetric’ NAT or router has been detected between this computer and the internet. This means audio cannot be routed to this computer automatically. You (or your Network Administrator) are strongly advised to manually setup RTP/UDP redirection at the router or NAT otherwise audio my be delayed, low or broken. See the manual topic “Networking” for more.”

And the outbound autodial calls don’t work. In bottom of the windows there is “Registered as: 33175431872@keyyo.net” and all the 10 minutes a sentence is rewritten “Unable to auto-detect public IP. Using private IP.

What symmetric NAT and RTP/UDP are???

What can I do?

Thank you very much!!!

Alexandre, Lille, France

A NAT device is usually a router in most cases which is used to sort through your internet traffic and direct it to the appropriate computer. By default most routers have a built-in firewall that will block some network traffic. If the router/NAT is blocking VoIP traffic, it will make it very difficult or impossible for VoIP applications such as Express Talk and IVM to transmit and receive audio over VoIP.

The software is recommending that you set-up your router to forward/allow traffic from the SIP and RTP ports IVM & Express Talk are using. There is however no universal instruction manual to forward ports as each manufacturer has its own design specifications and ways of forwarding ports. You can find router-specific instructions here.

Also make sure you run the built-in "Network Set-up Wizard" in both IVM and Express Talk, in many cases this can fix many of the problems you're having.