Internal call between extensions - own voice loud, cannot hear answerer?

mattp52

Have got Axon running under Linux and have two soft phone extensions. Both users can make external calls through the system, however calling another extension is not working well. The call rings on the recipients phone, they pick up and each person hears their own voice very loudly but not the other person's. It's as if the voice packets are being sent back to the originating speaker rather than sent to the other user.

Any ideas for troubleshooting here? I've tried switching on the various 'Advanced Settings' for the line in the Web Admin to no effect.

Thanks,

M.

What soft phone are you using? Express Talk and most other soft phones have a gain (volume) adjustment for both audio in & out. If you are using an external USB phone that could also be the source of the problem.

If you're using Express Talk, run the Audio Set-up Wizard and see what the mic levels are. If they're low, it would indicate either a problem with the microphone/connection or even more likely the Operating System's settings for mic volume (Note that Windows also has a feature called "Microphone Boost" that lets you really turn the gain up on the mic's input significantly (can cause clipping & hissing though)). If the volume levels appear to be normal, it does appear to be a problem in the transmission.

Even if it is a problem in the transmission of voice data, I would think the problem could still be solved to a reasonable satisfaction by maxing the gain-out on the soft phone, turning up the mic volume in the sound mixer, and if necessary, enabling the mic boost option.

I thought I should also note that the Linux version is pretty new (as in beginning of this month) and I'm not sure how many people are actually using it in real world applications as of yet. It's quite possible that this is a problem exclusive to the Linux version and has not been reported yet.

>If you're using Express Talk, run the Audio Set-up Wizard and see what the mic levels are

Hmm, the audio wizard must be specific to Windows versions. Both computers are running Express Talk phones on OSX (10.5) and no audio wizard is available under application preferences.

Both are using standard system line outs and the volume on these should be good as the users run iTunes and report no problems there. Also, the levels are good for external calls.

> I thought I should also note that the Linux version is pretty new (as in beginning of this month) and I'm not sure how many people are actually using it in real world applications as of yet...

Ah ok. Well, happy to provide some diagnostics if it is an application bug but could be another problem there though - logging in Linux Axon doesn't appear to work either. Have turned on SIP logging via the web admin panel but no files appear here or in the logs directory on the file system.

Hmm, the audio wizard must be specific to Windows versions.
In Windows, it's under the File menu called Run Audio Set-up Wizard... don't know if that helps. It's quite possible it doesn't exist on the Mac version. You may also want to consider posting your question in the Mac OSX specific forum to see if anybody else has similar problems.