Outbound calls

scottsev

I am using the modem recomended from NCH-> SHT-2B/USB and have the latest drivers installed. I can recieve calls just fine, but any outbound calls I try will not work. The following is the log report:

13:28:02 Making outbound call to XXXX134 on line CAHTA 0

13:28:06 Call attempt failed - cannot get a dialtone on the line

13:28:06 Outbound call XXXX134 not answered

13:28:06 Call disconnected

The CAHTA 0 line is set up to allow ougiong and transfer calls. The line is on a regular pstn phone line. Any ideas why I would get this log report? Thanks-Scott

I think you mentioned you were using this modem with a PBX system in another topic. Is it possible the dial tone used by the PBX is (even a little bit) different to the standard North American dial tone (or whatever tone the modem is expecting)? I know that dial-tones are very region-specific and can even vary between phone devices like PBX systems and ATA VoIP adaptors. If the tone is the wrong frequency or varies in pitch instead of being steady, it could cause the modem to incorrectly asses that no dial tone is available for calling.

Also, (I don't have a link for this, sorry) there are several TAPI diagnostic programs online to help debug problems you're having with TAPI compliant modems. They basically show a log of every TAPI command the modem executes. If the log reports no dial tone, then it indicates the problem is indeed with the modem detecting the dial tone, and not IVM. If it does report a dial tone and IVM does not, it indicates a communication problem between the modem and IVM.

The dial tone is the north american region dial tone, but I was unable to get any of the monitoring software to work? I downloaded a few programs but they didn't seem to work with the modem. I was somewhat unsure of how to set them up. Any help. Thanks for the replies.- Scott

• 4 weeks later...

I have been tasked with setting up a service that will allow a user to record a message and then fan it out to subscribers who have registered with their cell/home phones. I have discovered IVM and have downloaded the trial version but I recently discovered that I need a voice modem. I am very flexible and can start from scratch, that being said what is a good voice modem to purchase that I can quickly install. Job was thrown at me last minute and I'm under a time crunch, kindda like a Scotty from Star Trek. Thanks.

Any TAPI compliant voice modem should work fine. Keep in mind though voice modems offer an acceptable quality, whereas a professional voice board offers a substantially higher quality. If this is a medium-large business set-up, it is recommended that you consider purchasing a voice board. Note there is a significant difference in price, a voice modem costs about $30 USD whereas a voice board can cost upwards of $200.

Having said that, Voice Modems are a very convenient, inexpensive, and are great for quick install/test set-ups for your planned IVR.