NCH - you need to FIX this

Osprey

You really need to act on this.

Look in this forum and there are loads of posts about same problem - and people are getting peeved.

If I put in a CD to rip ... almost always reports 'operation failed when trying to access the FreeDB Internet server .. Please check you are connected to internet'

Your FAQ even suggests connecting to www.freedb.org .... I do and get an instant connect no problem.

If I try your alternate server (Musicbrains) the same thing .... this must be an NCH issue, if I fire up Windows Media Player or iTunes they find tracks details instantly.

This appears to be an NCH issue - and you really do need to fix it, or people will use other products.

Look in this forum and there are loads of posts about same problem - and people are getting peeved.

If I put in a CD to rip ... almost always reports 'operation failed when trying to access the FreeDB Internet server .. Please check you are connected to internet'

Your FAQ even suggests connecting to www.freedb.org .... I do and get an instant connect no problem.

If I try your alternate server (Musicbrains) the same thing .... this must be an NCH issue, if I fire up Windows Media Player or iTunes they find tracks details instantly.

This appears to be an NCH issue - and you really do need to fix it, or people will use other products.

Interesting & worrying that NCH have not bothered to even answer this, it was also emailed directly to support - and again no answer.

Anybody manage to get any support out of NCH ??

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nchaj
Interesting & worrying that NCH have not bothered to even answer this, it was also emailed directly to support - and again no answer.

Thanks, this is a problem generally caused by your firewall. We changed this in a recent release to use port 80 by default as to rectify.

what version of Rip are you using?

I don't see how this is a problem with my Firewall ? .... if it was how come it works part time ?

And works 100% of the time for Windows Media Player & iTunes .... it is only a problem with Express Rip ?

The version I use is 1.48

many people on this forum report the same problem, we can't all have a firewall problem.

Guest nchaj

1) it only uses port 80 if you select

'Use http to access freeDB'

2) I have had a few issues with lookups on freeDB and much less using

muicbrainz. Suggest you check

'use alternate musicbrainz server'

Otherwise regarding errors;

A)

"The operation failed when trying to access the freeDB Internet server.

Check you are connected to the internet. You can also try using the

alternate server in Options"

- here you are using port 80 but cannot connect to the server

freedb.freedb.org

the alternative is

freedb.musicbrainz.org

B)

Check you have port 8880 open for this application and try again later."

- here you are using direct TCP via port 8880 and should check

the firewall

In both cases you may have disallowed internet access to the

application (ie told the firewall the application cannot access the

web) in which case it needs to be altered

• 4 months later...
1) it only uses port 80 if you select

'Use http to access freeDB'

2) I have had a few issues with lookups on freeDB and much less using

muicbrainz. Suggest you check

'use alternate musicbrainz server'

Otherwise regarding errors;

A)

Check you are connected to the internet. You can also try using the

alternate server in Options"

- here you are using port 80 but cannot connect to the server

freedb.freedb.org

the alternative is

freedb.musicbrainz.org

B)

Check you have port 8880 open for this application and try again later."

- here you are using direct TCP via port 8880 and should check

the firewall

In both cases you may have disallowed internet access to the

application (ie told the firewall the application cannot access the

web) in which case it needs to be altered

This is still an issue ... I have tried other rippers and athey all get track details no problem (iTunes for example) ... but the success rate with NCH ripper is about 1 CD in 10. and that is with freeDB and muicbrainz.

iTunes never fails .... ?

The fact that it does work sometimes would suggest that my Firewall is not the culprit ... it seems more likley to be a bug in software.

• 4 weeks later...

I too have tried to use the musicbrainz and no luck. Everything worked fine until that popped up and tried to take over. I stopped it and had to find the place to get rid of it but the freed db does not work now either.

When I first started to use the Free Express rip over a year ago, it worked fine. But since the middle of August and I had to have it reinstalled on a new hard drive, it has not worked since. I even purchased it and it does not work. I make CDs on a Roland VS2000 recorder and the CDs worked fine till I had a new harddrive installed. I could not find the Express program on the old drive I had purchased so I purchased it again. After trying to use the free version. Neither has worked for me since.

I know it is not in my CDs but something in the program.

I just tired to rip a store bought CD and it worked fine, but the ones I make it will not recognize them as it did before.

I believe it is a glitch in the NCH product that has been changed or has a bug

Any one with something new please help me.

Thanks,

Kathryn

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Kathryn, this is a pretty old post and the issue has ben fixed in the latest release, what version are you running?

Hoorah .... praise to NCH .... this is fixed and works correctly in ver 1.52

There was no firewall issue, whatever was wrong has been fixed - well done.

• 4 years later...

I have just purchased Express Rip Version 1.92 and I am having the same problems as other members. Windows Media Player finds all the track and album info in seconds, no such look with V1.92.

I am using a brand new Compaq laptop running Windows 8, any suggestions apart from dump the software or play with the firewall.

• 4 months later...

I just downloaded V1.92 & had a similar problem. After trying everthing including looking to see if Port 8880 was open it was not... even after making it an exception in Windows Xp Firewall & setting the port to 8880. Finally tried the FreeDB Server WITHOUT HTTP set & that worked perfectly without a miss. Hope this helps others.

• 5 years later...
On 3/17/2008 at 7:31 PM, Osprey said:

I disabled my firewall, and still got no information. It is a very old bug in the software. What a pity with this otherwise great software! I should have saved my 29€ for something better.

• 1 year later...

Looks like CDDB was shut down in May 2020 I can't find any means of manually setting up Express Rip to read from other Music databases. looks like another piece of obsolete software to be retired to the junk pile. 

On 6/21/2020 at 10:46 AM, Hieraco said:

Looks like CDDB was shut down in May 2020 I can't find any means of manually setting up Express Rip to read from other Music databases. looks like another piece of obsolete software to be retired to the junk pile. 

That would explain why it stopped working for me. Is there an alternative to this service?

Looks like everyone is having the same problem.  Seems to be the loss of CDDB rather than port 8880 as the note now says.  What I'd really like is for you to change the link built into Express CD Ripper software from CDDB to Musicbrainz and have it work as advertised.    Short of that, I'd like to just ask you to live up to your "no nonsense" guarantee and just refund my purchase price.  Thanks in advance, Conrad