Add a trunk without a username or password?

LakeCS

The VoIP provider we're using does not require any kind of authentication, no user name or password, etc. How do I configure Axon to use it? If I leave the account ID or password blank, Axon's web GUI refuses to let me go past that.

My provider is IPcommunications, it's their free DID account.

Axon doesn't support non-authenticated trunks. Even if you did manage to erase the username and password and still submit / save the configuration in Axon, I'd think Axon would still try and authenticate to the server regardless. What happens if you put in a random user/password? Perhaps the server will simply ignore it / auto register and there won't be a problem?

The VoIP provider we're using does not require any kind of authentication, no user name or password, etc. How do I configure Axon to use it? If I leave the account ID or password blank, Axon's web GUI refuses to let me go past that.

My provider is IPcommunications, it's their free DID account.

I can't believe they require no info from you. So anyone can just plug your number into thier softphone and use it?

Don Fritz

@DFritz, it's not that uncommon. You will find that some VoIP providers (especially for businesses) will provide an SIP VoIP line without authentication, but limit access to it from one specific IP. So even though there is no password authentication, the only people who can use the line are ones using it from a particular IP address (and typically businesses will own their own static IP address).

There are also other cases where authentication is not used, although I will say they are rare and it is much more common to have a traditional SIP account set-up requiring a username and password to authenticate to the system.

• 4 weeks later...
@DFritz, it's not that uncommon. You will find that some VoIP providers (especially for businesses) will provide an SIP VoIP line without authentication, but limit access to it from one specific IP. So even though there is no password authentication, the only people who can use the line are ones using it from a particular IP address (and typically businesses will own their own static IP address).

There are also other cases where authentication is not used, although I will say they are rare and it is much more common to have a traditional SIP account set-up requiring a username and password to authenticate to the system.

My VoIP provider is exactly the same.

I tried put in a random user/password but provider's server returns error "405 Method not Allowed" on registration attempt.

I've set up Axon this way:

1. Add new external line of type "Other device will contact us (eg. FXO, UpLink, etc...)" whith desired Line Name, any "ID or User Name" and empty password

2. At the computer running Axon modify registry entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NCH Swift Sound\Axon\Lines\External\EXTERNALLINENAME\Server, enter IP addres/FQDN of VoIP provider.

Axon works well for outgoing calls. I can't tried ingoing - my line is outgoing only whithout PSTN number.

One small problem. Even Axon restarts or eny external line reconfigured I need repeat theese steps!

It will be so fine if Axon team imlements external lines without autentification.