CHOPPY

dmarques11

i went through all the pages looking for a answer that would work for my problem and nothing seems to work.... my out going message sounds really choppy and nothing seems to work...... here is what i have and what i have tried....

i have a PC with XP 1.8 G it originally had 512 Ram i upgraded to 2 GB and no change..... this is a deducted PC for the phone system.....

i have tried a new router... currently using a linksys WRT54G...... i went into it and directed the port Forwarding 5060 to 5070 and 8000 to 8002 to the assigned PC..... and no change....

Currently running Ver 4.07 of IVM....

I am using Inpohnex....

i did a INTERNET speed test .... i average 6 MB download and 2.5 MB upload so i don't think that is the prob...

my out going message was recorded using Text2speach....

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the prob????????

The most probable cause of audio quality problems such as choppiness is your firewall blocking communications. I know you said you forwarded the ports, but I'd like to test this. Please find the "DMZ" feature on your router (if applicable) and set-up the IVM computer on the DMZ. This is very much like forwarding ALL ports (note: this could put the computer at risk, but this is only for a short period of time to test). If the problem is still encountered then it must be somewhere else, and if it is no longer a problem it is likely you did not forward all the ports necessary.

Also, if your router supports QoS (Quality of Service) you should definitely enable it and set it up to prioritize VoIP traffic over anything else. Without QoS, VoIP traffic is trying to compete with regular internet and network traffic and will be held in a Queue at the router in a first come first served basis. This is no good for practical VoIP applications since when the data is in queue it will cause choppiness as there are many small delays and short bursts of silence. Nowadays it's common for many routers (both for home and office) to support Quality of Service.

Choppiness is also an indication of a bandwidth problem. i.e. there is too much data to stream through your internet connection at one time. Another way to solve the choppiness is to use another codec that reduces the bandwidth usage. Using a low bandwidth codec will slightly reduce the audio quality (as in clarity) to that similar of a mobile phone, but it will also avoid the choppiness. To change codecs, go to Settings -> Telephony -> Line properties -> Advanced Tab -> Prefer Lower Bandwidth

The most probable cause of audio quality problems such as choppiness is your firewall blocking communications. I know you said you forwarded the ports, but I'd like to test this. Please find the "DMZ" feature on your router (if applicable) and set-up the IVM computer on the DMZ. This is very much like forwarding ALL ports (note: this could put the computer at risk, but this is only for a short period of time to test). If the problem is still encountered than it must lie somewhere else, and if it is no longer a problem it is likely you did not forward all the ports necessary.

Also, if your router supports QoS (Quality of Service) you should definitely enable it and set it up to prioritize VoIP traffic over anything else. Without QoS, VoIP traffic is trying to compete with regular INTERNET and network traffic and will be held in a Queue at the router in a first come first served basis. This is no good for practical VoIP applications since when the data is in queue it will cause choppiness as there are many small delays and short bursts of silence. Nowadays it's common for many routers (both for home and office) to support Quality of Service.

Choppiness is also an indication of a bandwidth problem. i.e. there is too much data to stream through your INTERNET connection at one time. Another way to solve the choppiness is to use another codec that reduces the bandwidth usage. Using a low bandwidth codec will slightly reduce the audio quality (as in clarity) to that similar of a mobile phone, but it will also avoid the choppiness. To change codecs, go to Settings -> Telephony -> Line properties -> Advanced Tab -> Prefer Lower Bandwidth

thanx for getting back to me.......

i tried the DMZ setting and made no diffrence.... i went in found the Mac address and set it up in my router for the highest priority to that mac address and also no change... batting a thosand.... also made the change to the quality and also nothing... so at this point not sure what else i can do? would unplugging my whole companies network and plugging the phone computer directly into the modem be a good test?

You could try plugging it directly into the modem to test. If you still encounter a problem there could be other factors (possibly out of your control) that could cause choppiness, including: distance to the VoIP provider's server, the bandwidth available on the provider's end, your ISP's set-up (whether it will detect and prioritize VoIP traffic for you), etc.

You could try plugging it directly into the modem to test. If you still encounter a problem there could be other factors (possibly out of your control) that could cause choppiness, including: distance to the VoIP provider's server, the bandwidth available on the provider's end, your ISP's set-up (whether it will detect and prioritize VoIP traffic for you), etc.

thanx again........

I'm going to try to plug it in directly to the modem tonight while we r closed.. I'll let you know how we make out.... as for bandwith.. am running on 6 to 7 MB download and 1.5 to 2 MB upload... that should be more then enough... also if bandwith was an issue wouldn't i notice it on during my calls??????? because my calls r fine the only problem is is the OGM being choppy... I'm starting to lien toward the software being the problem.... i believe if I'm running my phone lines through AXON and am not experiencing any issues and only on the IVM program.. then i would guess that it would have to be a software issue... but I'm not giving up yet... going to try the modem thing and if i have to I'll set up another VOIP number through a different company to see if there is any diffrence.... lets hope for the best....

thanx again........

I'm going to try to plug it in directly to the modem tonight while we r closed.. I'll let you know how we make out.... as for bandwith.. am running on 6 to 7 MB download and 1.5 to 2 MB upload... that should be more then enough... also if bandwith was an issue wouldn't i notice it on during my calls??????? because my calls r fine the only problem is is the OGM being choppy... I'm starting to lien toward the software being the problem.... i believe if I'm running my phone lines through AXON and am not experiencing any issues and only on the IVM program.. then i would guess that it would have to be a software issue... but I'm not giving up yet... going to try the modem thing and if i have to I'll set up another VOIP number through a different company to see if there is any diffrence.... lets hope for the best....

i think i have found out what the problem is... i think its the router.... i unpluged everything and connected the modem directly to the computer and its gone... so i guess the router is the problem... how do i check to see if the ports are open? or do u think i should try other ports? any suggestions?

There are a few online port checkers here: http://www.google.ca/search?q=port+checker

I'm not sure how reliable they are though.

i found out the problem with the choppyness... looks like it really doesn't like the basic routers.... i had to buy linksys biz routers and it seemed to do it... but now i have an other issue with the new router... now i'm dropping calls so not sure what that could be.....