Express dictate versions and support

pgersh

I am evaluating this software for use in a large university based clinical practice.

The software seems very good but I am a bit concerned with the support on Mac.

I noticed that the software archive (.dmg) that is available for download was created in 2006. Is there a new version available? What are your release plans for OS X operating system in the futire?

Are there other users who implemented it on a larger scale and who could comment on issues of support and reliability?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We have been actively developing other MacOS products using a different (more efficient from a development cycle level) method, and I believe Express Dictate will soon come under review again and a new versions released.

• 5 months later...
We have been actively developing other MacOS products using a different (more efficient from a development cycle level) method, and I believe Express Dictate will soon come under review again and a new versions released.

Has this been done and what's the most current version compatible with Mac OS 10.5.4?

Guest nchaj

Hi,

Express Scribe for Mac is just about to have a new release, and im talking in the next few days. Its v4.05, and Dictate is in the same boat, its v 4.05 and currently in testing before release. Basically check out our home page sometime next week it may be advertised, in any case Scribe is free so you can download as much as you like.

Yale university have been working on this with us, they use both of these products and have helped us test them. I could ask them if they would mind visiting the forums and giving some feedback for their uses.

AJ

My name is Brian and I work at Yale. We have had some integration issues and the people at NCH have been very responsive. What started as a request for fixes has turned into something more... We have received weekly updates (and betas of Dictate and Scribe) so we can follow the NCH development process. While I can't speak about what is new or changed, I can tell you about our setup at Yale and some of the issues we have faced.

We are in a clinical setting and have Faculty and Residents dictating cases (about 40 stations; 200 dictations daily). All computers are Mac based. Most are intel-Macs running 10.5.x; the rest are PPC running 10.4.11. Microphones are the "Buddy" USB variety. Foot pedals are the VPC models that NCH recommends. We also have barcode scanners to help enter case information.

Issues with the dictation stations are few, but important to fix. 1) the left/right foot pedals also activate the center pedal (we are looking at alternatives; users for now are very careful) 2) Express Dictate gets "reset" and old and new dictations get mixed up (if the app crashes twice, the OS offers to create a new prefs file. This also resets Dictate's internal counter and causes issues. We have asked people to click "Close" instead of "Try Again" if the dialog appears)

The dictations are sent to a file server, processed, and then made available in a shared area for our Transcriptionists. We have about 10 stations. The transcriptionists "Load and Delete" one or more cases and then transcribe them into our clinical system. Again, all are Macs (some intel, some PPC, most 10.5.x, some 10.4.11). We have had a number of issues with switching from "Lanier" to Express Scribe. 1)During the last few seconds of the dictation, the user is unable to enter text (we ask people to say "this is the end of the dictation" to remedy this) 2)Dictations can't be sent back to the server 3)Changing speed of dictation creates a "robotic" (hard to listen to) voice 4)As above, foot pedals are difficult to use.

We have sent NCH a list of issues and they are working to resolve them. Some of the issues listed above have been addressed in the betas we have used. It is possible that ALL our issues will be addressed (except the foot pedals) by the time the software is released... time will tell. But it is very clear that NCH is working hard to get Dictate and Scribe updated and we are excited to use the new versions!