solution for .wav files not working in Express Scribe

andreafbe

Hi, I have a possible solution for people having problems playing .wav files in Express Scribe. Basically ES was working fine on my desktop but wouldn't work at all on my laptop, and I was getting the "...you are missing... codec...". I tried everything from making sure that everything was updated to rolling back to older versions of both ES and Windows Media just to name a few things. I had it in the computer shop when I ran out of ideas and they installed a codec pack (not any of the ones people say not to use!) and that still did not work.

The computer tech came to my house to compare the codec on my desktop, which is working, to my laptop which is not working. Basically what he found is that the correct (correct because it has the same name) codec was installed on my laptop, but it is a newer version and is not compatible for playing .wav files. To resolve this he had to go into the system files on the desktop, find the correct codec (the older version), copy them to a memory stick, and then reinstall and register it onto the laptop registry while in safe mode. Simply copying it and installing it on your computer will not work. I tried this not realizing that you need to do it in safe mode so you can resigter it so it will work on your computer.

The error message I was getting was for the Dialogic (or dictaphone) OKI ADPCM codec. If you are having this problem, you will not be able to find this codec online! Your best bet will be to copy it from an older computer and reinstall it on your newer computer. The old version I installed that worked for me is from 1996. The newer version on my laptop was from 2005-6. I do not know what other years work and/or don't work.

I see a lot of people having this issue with no resolution, so I wanted to post what I found to work for me. I have been banging my head against a wall for several weeks now trying to resolve this and was about to give up. I just hope this post will help someone else to resolve their problem more quickly and with much less frustration that I did.

Thanks,

Andrea

• 4 weeks later...

a solution?...hmmm...it's not available online....and those of us who are techies are supposed to know where to find the the codec file on an older computer? I searched on one of mine today that has XP, and a search did not find anything like that.