DSS file problem

milbau

I'm new to ExpressScribe, and I've been trying for a week to get the program to play my DSS files. The files seem to download correctly but the duration is :00. I initially tried the new 4.17 version with no success. After reading about this same subject in a few recent posts, I found an older 4.05 version to download (along with the component patch). However, no luck there either. I've rebooted, installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. (running Window XP Professional SP2).

Is anyone else still having trouble with the DSS files? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Go to Forum Topic "Express Scribe 4.05 download"

Achtung! Es besteht eine unverträglichkeit zwischen long play und short Play.

Bei mir ging es erst nach dem ich auf short play umgestellt habe.

Attention! There is an intolerance between long and short play.

For me it was only after I switched to short play.

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

got the same probs here. Most express scribe installations work fine - but not that one here in front of me.

Tried everything: uninstalled es with deleting every folders of NCH , although these in documents and settings; re-install different versions from 4.05 to 4.18 with different patches of that dss32.dll... And nothing helped...

Is there maybe any other trick to make Scribe work?

Kind Regards,

CT

Hi There,

got the same probs here. Most express scribe installations work fine - but not that one here in front of me.

Tried everything: uninstalled es with deleting every folders of NCH , although these in documents and settings; re-install different versions from 4.05 to 4.18 with different patches of that dss32.dll... And nothing helped...

Is there maybe any other trick to make Scribe work?

Kind Regards,

CT

I personally believe the programmers cannot fix it. Since the problem has been so longstanding my opinion is it will not be fixed. Not ever.

Further back on this topic, someone named "nchqb" responded with:

"Be aware that Olympus have recently changed their DSS format, which is why problems started occurring in the first place. Try loading an old DSS file you have and see if you have any success with this. "

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried using a .dss file from a job a year or more ago? He's not suggesting loading an older version of ES, nor using an old Olympus model, but an old .dss file itself.

I've been reading thru this forum as I have a big contract coming up and am considering using NCH's products, but wanted to research known issues first. This could be a big time waster if not resolved, and like someone else on here, I'm not opposed to paying for support, as long as they support, which it didn't appear they could for him.

• 3 weeks later...

DSS support certainly it extremely hit and miss. I have one person using Vista who I am trying to support, they upgraded from 4.10 to 4.19. All of a sudden no dss support. Tried everything suggested in these forums. Extremely annoying and appears there is no solution and little to no interest from NCH in resolving this. NCH how about a conclusive official statement on this issue please.

• 2 weeks later...
DSS support certainly it extremely hit and miss. I have one person using Vista who I am trying to support, they upgraded from 4.10 to 4.19. All of a sudden no dss support. Tried everything suggested in these forums. Extremely annoying and appears there is no solution and little to no interest from NCH in resolving this. NCH how about a conclusive official statement on this issue please.

They can't fix it. That is why there is no helpful response to your question. Tech support lied through their teeth for months and months about the Olympus recorder problem and Express Scribe. However, they have no problem taking your money for their faulty products or non-existent tech support. My suggestion is that you return your product to them and get your money back. Get Gear Player and you won't have problems anymore. Not only does Gear Player work with Olympus files and any other format, they have great tech support.

Work is too stressful to put up with faulty software.

Hello everyone. I've used Express Scribe without fail for a long, long time. However, the other day I had my computer busted down to nothing and Window XP installed. The following day upon reloading Express Scribe .wav files played but dss files said they were total zeros and defaulted out of the system/deleted.

I have a backup copy of Express Scribe on my laptop, and it works fine.

I put another copy of Express Scribe on a second desktop 'puter in the house, with the same XP operating system and it has no problems playing any kind of files.

So, is this something to do with busting down and starting over, because I've seen several people who had done the same thing.

I tried all the fixes listed in both forum pages on this topic, and to no avail on the newly configured computer with XP. .wav and other files are fine, but to play anything .dss I have to use one of the other computers (the one that had a copy of ExpressS on it already and the one that I put ExpressScribe on).

I'm not understanding in the least bit why Express Scribe and all it's usual components do not work fully on the newly installed/revamped computer with XP but it will work on a computer with existing XP.

Any ideas or hints beyond what everyone has tried?!?!

Thanks, and happy transcribing ... there's always work and always other programs, etc. but I never had a problem with Express Scribe up until this new reinstall.

[Yes, I did try that and all the other suggestions, but will keep trying. I still have use of it on my laptop and on another computer in the house, but would eventually like it back where I had it so who knows with this current spook?!?!?!

quote name=RJC' date='Apr 17 2008, 07:04 PM' post='21105]

Did you try downloading dssdec.exe from the components page? That worked for me.

hi to all...i think i have tried all the suggestions given here..to no avail.

It's really frustrating...my pc's running on XP too. it just won't process anything with a dss extension format. HELP! couldn't even convert the files to wma or to anything. I wonder when will this problem be resolved..[if ever]

Hi all,

I was working for the whole day on this problem and I am glad that you guys were having the same probs with ES 4.17 - thx to all of you, you helped me a lot. And that is why I also want to share my solution on this topic with you!

I found out, that the dss32 component is the problem in my case - not the ES version in total! If you take the actual dss32.dll from the components page, you only get zero duration dss files.

Luckily, I made ES work on my Linux partition a while ago via wine (windows emulator software). And this one always worked fine. So I took the older dss32.dll and replaced the new one with this version - voila: everything works fine now, even with 4.17!

The only obvious difference is the file size: the new version has 204kb, the old one only 186kb. So, if you can find an old version of this file - give it a try! Maybe the NCH-guys may put an older version online as well!

Best regards,

Patrick

This is exactly the answer. The dss32.dll file that is 204 kb is BAD. The one that is 184 or 186 kb works!!!!

Deb Ruthenberg

This is exactly the answer. The dss32.dll file that is 204 kb is BAD. The one that is 184 or 186 kb works!!!!

Deb Ruthenberg

How do you get the dss32.dll file that is 184 or 186?

Where exactly do you put it in ES?

How do you get the dss32.dll file that is 184 or 186?

Where exactly do you put it in ES?

I don't know whether or not this will help, but for what it's worth, you can download an older version of dss32.dll from the following link:

www.vancedigital.com/downloads/dss32.dll

On my XP machine, the location of this file is C:/Program Files/NCH Swift Sound/Components/dss32/dss32.dll

Please let me know if this works for anyone.

Also, in case anyone needs it, I have the last version of ES that plays .dss files okay, for me, anyway, at www.vancedigital.com/downloads/Express_Scribe_415.exe

Jay

I don't know whether or not this will help, but for what it's worth, you can download an older version of dss32.dll from the following link:

www.vancedigital.com/downloads/dss32.dll

On my XP machine, the location of this file is C:/Program Files/NCH Swift Sound/Components/dss32/dss32.dll

Please let me know if this works for anyone.

Also, in case anyone needs it, I have the last version of ES that plays .dss files okay, for me, anyway, at www.vancedigital.com/downloads/Express_Scribe_415.exe

Jay

Thanks, Jay. I'll give it a try.

Try this - it worked for me on both Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional installations of the latest (4.19) Express Scribe.

The problem for me was a missing msvcr80.dll file. If you can't 'borrow' it from another Windows installation you can download it from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr80

I saved it in my C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe folder and when I fired up ES again all my dss file problems had disappeared.

ChrisB

Sorry, spoke too soon.

An automatic Windows update broke it, and also broke Windows recognising my Infinity USB foot pedal. At least I know what to do now: re-install Windows 2000 and don't install any updates beyond SP4. It worked then! I'll run that as a virtual machine on my Linux desktop.

ChrisB

I've happily been using my old Olympus software to play my DSS files. However, my equally old footpedal is about to die, so I thought I'd check back to see if ExpressScribe was updated to fix the DSS problem. I just downloaded the latest version and tried to play a DSS file. Now there is a message box that pops up and says that "the file format is not supported" and it deletes the DSS file. I guess NCH has given up on ever trying to address this issue. It is very misleading to continue to purport on the ExpressScribe information page that DSS is a supported file type when it clearly is not. Maybe one of these days I'll get to use ExpressScribe if I receive something other than DSS files...

By the way, I also tried some of the other helpful hints added to this post, including the new codec file, but nothing worked. I'm not tech-savvy enough to try any of the more advanced solutions, so I give up.