Caller ID and caller name

Guest Robert

Guest Robert

The is a field for caller name but I cant see anywhere how this works or how to associate the caller ID telephone number with a name??

• 2 weeks later...

Caller Name is provided by your telephone system. There is not user configurable way of changing this.

Not all telephone systems provide it and not all modems or boards will interpret it (the CallURL hardware for instance ignores the call name information). You will need to check with your telco and harware manufacturer.

• 2 months later...
Guest Big Geek
Sorry, I don't understand you. Do you mean I must keep a phonebook at the telco before the name display?

Do you have a test phone connected to your system? If you do does it display your caller ID? If it does not then you need to notify your telco that you would like caller ID. If it does then check the card you are using to make sure that it will support caller ID.

As for caller name what would you like it to do? When a call comes in you can have it display the caller name on the screen and display the number, but this will not work if you do not have caller ID. Again set up a test phone that can dispaly caller ID and see if it is displaying the name. The test phone will be a normal phone pluged in to the phone jack of what ever board you are using. Not the line in jack. I hope this helps.

I mean where could I set up the name. I could not find a screen let me to key in caller names, how can IVM show callers name?

Thanks

I mean where could I set up the name. I could not find a screen let me to key in caller names, how can IVM show callers name?

Thanks

Yeah, I would like the same thing, I beleive what he saying is that if it would be possible for your program to lookup the Telephone nos. from a database, that then could return the Name, & even better an image & wav also.

I'm also looking for such a system to integrate into (MCE) Media Center. I'm willing to create an MCE plugin. Been able to View who's calling and listen to saved messages with the remote control, I think would be a big seller, eg.

http://www.xpmce.com/forum/answering-service-vt86868.html

Regards

Keith..

Guest Big Geek

I understand what you are saying.

when a callerCaller calls, You would like to have query that would capture the number then go back to a DB and find the name and a pic of the calller that is assochiated with incoming number. You would enter the info your self for the query to run aginst after the number is capterd.

Fisrt things first.

Again not to be redundent but you need to have the TELCO that you are using turn on Caller ID so the number can be sent to you. Have you done this?

If the telco is not sending the caller information to you then you will never see the caller infromation. This is the first step in getting this done.

I think your idea is a cool one.

I understand what you are saying. 

when a callerCaller calls, You would like to have query that would capture the number then go back to a DB and find the name and a pic of the calller that is assochiated with incoming number.  You would enter the info your self for the query to run aginst after the number is capterd.

Fisrt things first.

Again not to be redundent but you need to have the TELCO that you are using turn on Caller ID so the number can be sent to you.  Have you done this?

If the telco is not sending the caller information to you then you will never see the caller infromation.  This is the first step in getting this done.

I think your idea is a cool one.

I think most of the telco provide this service. They send caller ID to you, you send back money to them <_<