Installing updated version

Guest Steve B

Guest Steve B

Hi NCH team,

I'm very impressed with the program from what I have seen so far, but I am still using mainly tape based transcription while I evaluate the product.

When installing a new version should any previous version be uninstalled first, or will an installation over the top of an existing installation work fine? Also, are the current settings and files lost during the installation of a new version?

Lastly, a small request. It would be really helpful if the product download links in the product page were marked with the version number to make it easy to check if one has the latest version. A changelog or release notes would also be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nchpm
Hi NCH team,

I'm very impressed with the program from what I have seen so far, but I am still using mainly tape based transcription while I evaluate the product.

When installing a new version should any previous version be uninstalled first, or will an installation over the top of an existing installation work fine? Also, are the current settings and files lost during the installation of a new version?

Lastly, a small request. It would be really helpful if the product download links in the product page were marked with the version number to make it easy to check if one has the latest version. A changelog or release notes would also be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Just install the new version over the top of the existing software, unless you have been specifically instructed to uninstall Express Scribe first. Installing over the top will retain all of your existing files and settings, whereas uninstalling the software will remove them, giving you a "virgin" Express Scribe when you reinstall.

Please note that the above only applies to Express Scribe v 4.00 and later. Earlier releases of Express Scribe stored the Current and Done files in folders in the C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe program folder, whereas they are now stored in folders in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe.

To save your Current and Done files if upgrading from an earlier release to v 4.01, copy the existing Current and Done folders to a temporary location on your hard drive. Then, after upgrading the software, copy these two saved Current and Done folders over the new Current and Done folders to restore your files.

You comment regarding version numbers has been noted. On our homepage (www.nch.com.au) we have two locations where version numbers of recent software releases are noted - the News column on the right-hand side, and the New Releases section on the left-hand side. These show details of recent offerings, but do not cover all programs.