ram to mp3

Guest Jim

My computer is PIII - 1G with 384Mb of ram. It takes about 45 minutes to convert a 5Mb ram file to mp3. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? And yes it takes that long even if Switch is the only thing running.

I'm also running Windows XP with service pack 2.

Streambox ripper can do these same files in about 2 minutes. Why is it that Switch takes so long?

Out of curiosity I pulled up the task manager and switch was just sitting idle was not taking up any cpu time.

No one else has run into this problem?

it's not possible to have a 5mb .ram file, it is possible to have a 5mb .rm/.ra file though. .ram files are text files containing links to the audio file(s) on the Internet somewhere (the m in ram stands for "metafile")

So is 5mb the size of the file itself, or is that the size of the audio file it links to on the Internet? I unfortunately haven't encountered your problem myself, I just tested Switch converting a 1 hour 45 minute .ra file to mp3 format. It took about 5 seconds to do on my 2.5ghz machine w/ 512mb ram.

We have had a few problems with Switch taking extraordinary long to convert .ram files containing PNM streaming audio protocol links. We found the solution was to manually edit the text file and change it to use the RTSP streaming protocol instead.

• 1 month later...
Guest Robert
it's not possible to have a 5mb .ram file, it is possible to have a 5mb .rm/.ra file though. .ram files are text files containing links to the audio file(s) on the Internet somewhere (the m in ram stands for "metafile")

So is 5mb the size of the file itself, or is that the size of the audio file it links to on the Internet? I unfortunately haven't encountered your problem myself, I just tested Switch converting a 1 hour 45 minute .ra file to mp3 format. It took about 5 seconds to do on my 2.5ghz machine w/ 512mb ram.

We have had a few problems with Switch taking extraordinary long to convert .ram files containing PNM streaming audio protocol links. We found the solution was to manually edit the text file and change it to use the RTSP streaming protocol instead.

I have just tried using the ram file with RTSP "rtsp://archivemedia.publicradio.org/5559/phc/960427/960427_phc.rm" and switch crashes after about 2 seconds and 1/4 of the bars across during the load. I am using the free version. Also, I have tried getting the .rm file directly with some other utilities and then switch goes through the entire load process and starts to do the saving and crashes with a floating point error. I have tried on 2 different XP machines and one 2000 machine, all crash or just hang. I have had success from other .rm files. Suggestions?

Well I tried the link myself (thanks for giving it), and I can't seem to get switch to download the file unfortunately. Having said that, Switch definitely does not crash with any floating point errors, it just hangs/stalls. You may be better off trying to download the file with a download manager instead, and then use switch to convert the file to mp3 (or whatever) format.

Guest Robert
Well I tried the link myself (thanks for giving it), and I can't seem to get switch to download the file unfortunately. Having said that, Switch definitely does not crash with any floating point errors, it just hangs/stalls. You may be better off trying to download the file with a download manager instead, and then use switch to convert the file to mp3 (or whatever) format.

As I stated in my post, that is exactly what I did. I downloaded the rm file and then used switch to convert it. That is when I get the errors/hangup. I have tried to convert to wav, mp3 and one other. None work.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried downloading the rm file, and I noticed that the file took TWO HOURS to download! I think this is the problem - it looks like Switch isn't doing anything, whereas in actual fact it needs 2 hours to download the file.

As far as converting the rm file to other formats goes, I am not sure as of yet why it isn't working.