Help newbie setup IVM with VOIP

ashwen

I am starting a new business and want to setup a professional IVR system.

Here is what I have currently - Vonage (hardware) unlimited phone line.

What I need -

2-3 extensions with Mailboxes

One Outgoing/Incoming number so I can put this number on my business cards

IVR to route calls based on set criteria/responses

So, if I need 3 extensions do I need 3 separate phone lines?

Will my Vonage phone line work or do I need to signup for Vonage Softphone?

Can I use Skype in combination with Vonage for extensions?

Will I need Axon or can I just use IVM independently?

TIA

So, if I need 3 extensions do I need 3 separate phone lines?

Using Axon from NCH (free software), you can add and manage any number of extensions for a single or multiple phonelines. Each extension can be used by either a computer softphone (with a headset or external USB phone), an SIP phone (connected directly to your internet router or switch using Ethernet) or a traditional analog phone using an ATA adapter connected to your Internet router or switch.

In order to connect your current vonage line to NCH software, you will need to purchase an FXO adapter. This converts any analog line into a VoIP line. Even though Vonage is a digital VoIP service, the output from the ATA device they provide you is Analog. Essentially this means the call will be converted from VoIP to analog to VoIP again. Fear not, because I am using this exact method and it does not cause any noticeable delay or quality loss. The (Linksys) Sipura 3102 FXO adapter is around $80-$100 depending on where you purchase it. You can also use the Vonage soft-line and connect it directly to IVM's software, however Vonage soft-lines don't have unlimited plans, and you can only get them in combination with their regular service. So, the soft-line is essentially a rip-off and financially doesn't make sense unless you absolutely need to use the features of a soft-line.

Can I use Skype in combination with Vonage for extensions?

Skype can interface with IVM software (using Uplink) in such a way that incoming calls from Skype can be routed through to call your internal extensions. Additionally, you will be able to make outbound calls through your Skype line, and you can also forward calls to another Skype number. However, that is pretty much the extent of which Skype can interface with this software, you won't be able to simply add Skype extensions to be rung like your other extensions on incoming calls for example. Also, I warn you that the Skype interface is not completely 'bug-free' in my opinion, and still needs work. Judging from experience and the topics in the uplink forum, there seems to be common problems such as disconnections when there are multiple concurrent Skype calls, and an inability to detect key presses over a Skype line.

Will I need Axon or can I just use IVM independently?

You can use IVM independently, however the software basically operates as just an answering machine / basic IVR on it's own. If you want other features like multiple extensions, advanced call routing, dial-plans, call forwarding, dialing groups, etc. you will want to use Axon in combination with IVM. There is also additional 'plug-in' type software for extended phone features such as Music-on-hold and a conference centre.

-- Edit --

Other useful information:

- Each extension can dial another extension in your phone network as well as use external phone lines.

- You can set-up dialing plans and control exactly how each extension (or a group of extensions) can make phone calls. For example, you can specify that Extension 1 can make both internal or external phone calls and Extension 2 is limited to only external phone calls. You could also for example prevent certain extensions from making certain types of phone calls, such as international, premium, or mobile phones (depending on your country).

- Extension groups can be set-up to allow multiple extensions to be considered one extension when an event occurs. For example, if I setup a group with extension 1 and 2 in it, I can tell Axon to ring that group of extensions when an incoming call comes in.. otherwise only 1 extension could be rung. Additionally, there are more advanced dial groups which can have for example different delay times for ringing. For example, ring one extension for a specified number of seconds, and if no one answers automatically start ringing another extension.

- There is virtually no limit* to how many external lines you can have.. meaning if you wish to upgrade your system in the future and add additional VoIP lines (or FXO lines), this is quite possible and easy to do. You can use both lines together, and for example even set-up a system where if one line is busy, the call can automatically use the next line that is available.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Thanks pythonpoole for the detailed response.

In order to connect your current vonage line to NCH software, you will need to purchase an FXO adapter. This converts any analog line into a VoIP line. Even though Vonage is a digital VoIP service, the output from the ATA device they provide you is Analog. Essentially this means the call will be converted from VoIP to analog to VoIP again. Fear not, because I am using this exact method and it does not cause any noticeable delay or quality loss. The (Linksys) Sipura 3102 FXO adapter is around $80-$100 depending on where you purchase it. You can also use the Vonage soft-line and connect it directly to IVM's software, however Vonage soft-lines don't have unlimited plans, and you can only get them in combination with their regular service. So, the soft-line is essentially a rip-off and financially doesn't make sense unless you absolutely need to use the features of a soft-line.

I think I'll go with the FXO adapter and that way I can keep using the my existing unlimited phone line for $14.99 :)

Here's my next question - Lets say the line is busy - a person is talking on an extension and some one calls the number. If using Vonage, does the caller hear a busy signal? or can Axon/IVM route the call to a mailbox?

Unfortunately, if you only have one Vonage line and it becomes busy, Vonage will automatically forward the call to your Vonage voice mail. However, you can change settings in Vonage's online control panel to for example forward calls to another number in the event there is no answer..

Also, there is a very good and free service called FreeDigits ( http://freedigits.com ) that will allow you to have a private US Phone Number for free, and it also offers concurrent calls. This means that you can set-up Vonage to forward incoming calls to the FreeDigits number, and then have your FreeDigits number connected to Axon through the VoIP account they give you. This way you can have for example: two different callers call in at the same time as well as someone else in your business using the Vonage phone line to dial out. Keep in mind though you will only be able to use your 1 Vonage line for dialing out, this method simply allows you to receive more than 1 call at a time, and make a call while callers are still on the line.

This is exactly what I have set-up at home, and It works pretty well. Although sometimes the Caller-ID appears as 'FreeDigits'. The service is reliable, but of course it is up to you if you want to rely on a free service to manage your inbound business calls.

If the budget is available, it may make more sense to either purchase additional Vonage lines, or go with another VoIP provider that has an 'open' system whereby they give you the VoIP account information for you to put into Axon. Vonage is mean in that sense.. they lock all of the devices they give you and don't let you view your own account information.. for the sole purpose of stopping you from using and purchasing other non-Vonage hardware to use with the account. There are only a couple VoIP providers that do this, and I don't understand why Vonage has to be one of them, but what are you going to do about it.

Also I was wondering how on earth you managed to get an unlimited line for $15 :blink:... I use Vonage Canada, and they charge $40 a month for the unlimited (residential) plan! Keep in mind the Canadian dollar is now worth a tad bit more than the US dollar.

Also, there is a very good and free service called FreeDigits ( http://freedigits.com ) that will allow you to have a private US Phone Number for free, and it also offers concurrent calls. This means that you can set-up Vonage to forward incoming calls to the FreeDigits number, and then have your FreeDigits number connected to Axon through the VoIP account they give you. This way you can have for example: two different callers call in at the same time as well as someone else in your business using the Vonage phone line to dial out. Keep in mind though you will only be able to use your 1 Vonage line for dialing out, this method simply allows you to receive more than 1 call at a time, and make a call while callers are still on the line.

I will definitely give this a try. I will only have my wife working in the office (our house actually :) ) so dialing out shouldn't be a problem. I just don't want us to miss any calls when she is on the phone. I just need IVM to project a bigger company impression than we really are. We are starting a consulting business and the image you create impacts your billing rate proportionately. :)

Also I was wondering how on earth you managed to get an unlimited line for $15 :blink:... I use Vonage Canada, and they charge $40 a month for the unlimited (residential) plan! Keep in mind the Canadian dollar is now worth a tad bit more than the US dollar.

I am not sure about Canada but here in US in the last couple of weeks Vonage was offering unlimited calls for $14.99 to subscribers who were calling to cancel service as a last attempt to keep them. Even though I just signed up only two months ago, I was able to get this deal. Hey, who knows - it could work in Canada too. From the looks of it, Vonage is struggling financially and could go bankrupt in the near future.

Again thanks for explaining this stuff in so much detail - I had an idea but with your help it is all very clear now.

I thought I should let you know, that unfortunately, I just discovered that FreeDigits doesn't seem to be offering the same free service to new customers. I still have a free account with my own number, but now they changed the name of the site to "Ring-To Number" and it says the free version simply gives you a shared number where the person inputs a code/extension number to forward the call to you, where as the paid version gives you a private number (which used to be the free version).

FaxDigits is also part of the same company. What you can try to do is sign-up with them, and then in the control panel click the menu options to add a phone number. (This is how I did it a long time ago) and it would automatically add the number through FreeeDigits. So you can try to do that, and see if it still lets you, otherwise you may have to pay the "premium" rate of $5/month. In which case there are other services around which may be equivalent or better for around the same price.

I may have jumped the gun. I signed up for freedigits (ringtonumber.com) premium service without realizing that I cannot make outgoing calls. All it gives me is a Incoming number.

Can you recommend some VOIP providers that will give you a local number and let you make outgoing calls with Caller ID? This way I can use my idle server at home to handle all calls via Axon/IVM and have IP phones connected to the router.

There are several good VoIP providers out there, however many of them don't handle simultaneous calls, or they charge extra for that privillege.

Here is a list of recommended VoIP providers from NCH: http://www.nch.com.au/talk/sip.html

From my experience, Call Centric has poor quality and large delays, however I am in Australia so distance does play a factor (although I don't have the same problem with my other VoIP lines).

I've also heard that inPhonex is touch-and-go with accepting key digit presses, so if you plan to use it with an IVR, try and see if you can get a free / demo account to try out.