Olympus DS-2 .wma visible but not loading

Guest lincoln stoller

Guest lincoln stoller

Olympus's new DS-2 creates DSS and WMA files. Neither of the file types it generates are recognized by Express Scribe as loadable files. I don't know the codec being used as the maunal does not say. I can open the WMA files in Windows Media Player (WMP), and they play without a problem. The DSS Recorder software provided with the Olympus DS-2 does allow me to convert the files to .AIFF format, and once converted the files CAN be loaded by Express Scribe. However, these AIFF files are 10 times larger than the WMA files. Clearly, there is something incompatible with the codec that Olympus is using, and the codex that Express Scribe is expecting.

Is there some utility that I can use that will re-save the WMA files (and maybe the DSS files too) in a WMA and DSS format that Express Scribe can use? Unfortunately I'm on the Mac.

Thanks.

Guest lincoln stoller

I've found a workable work-around to the problem of Express Scribe failing to recognize any of the files produced by the Olympus DS-2. I downloaded "EasyWMA", a shareware program for the Mac that converts WMA files into MP3's. MP3's are equal in size to the WMA files and they are recognized and loaded by Express Scribe. Aside from the extra step and the long time required for conversion, this is workable.

The solution is not perfect, however, because the WMA files are only produced by the DS-2 when it's in HQ (mono) mode, or either of the two stereo modes. The DSS files that the DS-2 produces (in SP and lower quality modes) cannot be opened with EasyWMA and, since DSS is proprietary, there may not be any inexpensive converter to an equally compact format. The DSS files can be converted to AIF using Olympus's own software, but the resulting file is unwieldly at 10X the original file size.

The best solution would be for Express Scribe to upgrade their format support to be compatible with this very popular digital voice recorder. I note that Express Scribe is SUPPOSED TO load both the WMA and the DSS files, but does not load either (from this machine). My distributor tells me that the DS-2 is probably the most popular voice recorder currently selling in AU. So one hopes NCH will perform this compatibility upgrade soon.

As far as wma compatibility in scribe goes, we believe we fixed it a while ago - if your recorder is creating the WMA files with copy protection, however, none of our software will likely be able to open it. Check the status of the copy protection by opening a wma file in media player and going to File menu -> Properties -> click on the "License" tab.

If that is not the case, see if your wma files load in our software "Switch", which is a file converter program - nch.com.au/switch (I'm surprised you did not see Switch listed on our main page and had to use another file converter altogether).

• 1 month later...

You can convert from Olympus DSS Files to almost any format with Awave Audio v9.2. This software can convert one file or many [batch] to almost anything you want. The link is

http://www.fmjsoft.com/aamain.shtml

It cost $50 in 2004, so I don't know if it's gone up, but it works great. The only condition is that the Olympus software MUST be installed on the computer doing the conversions.

pat

Olympus's new DS-2 creates DSS and WMA files. Neither of the file types it generates are recognized by Express Scribe as loadable files. I don't know the codec being used as the maunal does not say. I can open the WMA files in Windows Media Player (WMP), and they play without a problem. The DSS Recorder software provided with the Olympus DS-2 does allow me to convert the files to .AIFF format, and once converted the files CAN be loaded by Express Scribe. However, these AIFF files are 10 times larger than the WMA files. Clearly, there is something incompatible with the codec that Olympus is using, and the codex that Express Scribe is expecting.

Is there some utility that I can use that will re-save the WMA files (and maybe the DSS files too) in a WMA and DSS format that Express Scribe can use? Unfortunately I'm on the Mac.

Thanks.