Using gameport to start recording

Edgar

Hello,

At the moment I am testing VRS for recording complete hours of radio programmes at a radio station. We are starting the recording by a pulse from our automation system. That system broadcasts the pulse to a hardware trigger card which broadcasts it to the gameport in the computer where VRS is installed. Starting and stopping pulses can be send with different joystick buttons. I have seen VRS is only accepting continuous pulse signals, but I can only give short pulses. So I think this is the main issue about my 'problem'. At the moment VRS is recording a few from a second every hour. Is there a solution for this?

You can say: record the whole hour from xx:00:00 to xx:59:59, but we don't want to record the news and commercial breaks at the top of the hour. For recording the complete airtime (for the law) we are using an other system.

Thanks for answering,

Edgar

• 3 months later...
Hello,

At the moment I am testing VRS for recording complete hours of radio programmes at a radio station. We are starting the recording by a pulse from our automation system. That system broadcasts the pulse to a hardware trigger card which broadcasts it to the gameport in the computer where VRS is installed. Starting and stopping pulses can be send with different joystick buttons. I have seen VRS is only accepting continuous pulse signals, but I can only give short pulses. So I think this is the main issue about my 'problem'. At the moment VRS is recording a few from a second every hour. Is there a solution for this?

You can say: record the whole hour from xx:00:00 to xx:59:59, but we don't want to record the news and commercial breaks at the top of the hour. For recording the complete airtime (for the law) we are using an other system.

Thanks for answering,

Edgar

Edgar -- Did you get an answer on this? I noticed the same issue today (that VRS wants continuous pulses). While our console can offer continuous pulses, I'd prefer to use short pulses. This is because I think the pulse for "Mic On" (start continuous pulse) will only be stopped if I hit "Mic On" a *second time* (rather than simply hitting "Mic Off"). I'm also wondering if I can start/stop via a serial or parallel port... -- Larry

Edgar -- Did you get an answer on this? I noticed the same issue today (that VRS wants continuous pulses). While our console can offer continuous pulses, I'd prefer to use short pulses. This is because I think the pulse for "Mic On" (start continuous pulse) will only be stopped if I hit "Mic On" a *second time* (rather than simply hitting "Mic Off"). I'm also wondering if I can start/stop via a serial or parallel port... -- Larry
You are the first person with an answer, but we have searched for other tools and found something. Autohotkey. This is a program to control the game port. It recognizes pulses from the gameport and with Autohotkey you can send a DOS command line command to start and stop VRS! In VRS we have selected the continuous record option and it works great!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad you found a working solution!

I was able today to get VRS triggered by a continuous (latched) signal from our control board and thought I was in heaven...when mic is on, VRS records; when mic is off, VRS stops. However, these recordings ended up in multiple files. We instead want a "telescoped" aircheck -- one single file that includes only the segments when the mic is on. Does your solution allow this? Thanks.

I'm glad you found a working solution!
Thanks
one single file that includes only the segments when the mic is on. Does your solution allow this? Thanks.
Great it works for you. My solution only starts and stops VRS. Recording is the work of VRS and I think it creates separate files for the time your continue signal works.