Can't overwrite files

Guest Lori Kahn

Guest Lori Kahn

Hi,

I'm trying to use the command line options to burn a specific file to the cd. I have been successful at getting this to work, but only with a new blank cd. Is there any way to get the software not to check if the cd has info on it and to overwrite the info if the cd is not blank?

Thanks,

Lori

For the used CD are you referring to a rewritable CD (CD\RW)?

Express Burn should overwrite automatically (I'll check).

It will not handle CD-R as it does not use multi-session writing so cannot append a CD that is not finalised.

Guest Lori Kahn
For the used CD are you referring to a rewritable CD (CD\RW)?

Express Burn should overwrite automatically (I'll check).

It will not handle CD-R as it does not use multi-session writing so cannot append a CD that is not finalised.

Hmmmm....ok. It is actually a CD-R. Everytime I put the CD in the drive and start Express Burn, it ejects the CD. However, if I put a new blank CD in the drive, it will write the file without ejecting. I thought even though it's a CD-R, it should still overwrite the file? Is this true or do I need to get CD\RWs?

Thanks,

Lori

Express Burn will not overwite an existing CD-R. A CD-R is a write one media. Express Burn is ejecting it as it is detecting an already burnt CD (it should say so).

You can append data to a CD-R when you write using multi-session writing. This allows to to add or even delete files from an already burned CD-R, but it is in-efficient as the old files al still present and you need about 12Mb to start a new session.

BUT

Express Burn does not currently support multi-session writing.

If you wish to completely erase and start again the only way is to use a CD rewritable (CD/RW) which can be erased and burn again

• 11 months later...