Switch failed after initial success

dgpretzel

I just downloaded the free Switch version today.

I want to convert several MIDI files to WAV. I installed and converted two files successfully. Then it stopped working. All attempts at converting additioal files resulted in a brief flash of a "Saving Audio File" dialog box, a message advising that the file was saved, and an actual file that is just a few dozen bytes long and totally worthless.

I tried to convert one of the original MIDI files that originally succeeded, and it succeeded again, but with a slightly different length. But, it played fine.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, and now I don't even get the brief appearance of the dialog box. Just an immediate failure message and a tiny, pretty much empty output file. I can no longer convert even the original MIDI files that initially succeeded.

It now appears to be totally non-functional.

Thank you for any comments.

Regards,

DG

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know. I just downloaded about a dozen MIDI files from the web.

Now the only thing Switch does is produce an error message saying creation of output file failed.

Regards,

DG

As switch.exe is running and a midi file is selected for conversion, click on Encoder Options, then select one of the names of saved options

(or save yourself a new options with a new name), then click on OK, then click on Convert. In my computer it works

Regards

Pier

• 1 year later...
I just downloaded the free Switch version today. I want to convert several MIDI files to WAV. I installed and converted two files successfully. Then it stopped working.

first off . . . i am new to this forum . . . am also new to nch products/software of australia. this is my first post here in the forum. as such, guess i am answering your query a bit late . . . hopefully someone else will benefit from this reply, in the future.

i have just finished downloading free/basic wavepad . . . this software can do what you are asking. i have not used their program switch . . . so i cannot assist in that venue. first of all i would suggest you to keep the original *.mid files in safe place . . . and work only with copies. accidents happen . . . even with professionals and even with the best operating systems money can buy. speaking of os . . . i run win-xp (sp3). as an after-thought . . . if you still have switch installed and still having problems with it . . . you might uninstall switch and reboot . . . before installing wavepad.

now, download / install the free/basic version of wavepad from http://www.nch.com.au/software/index.html. i declined the add-ons during install . . . installing only wavepad (ver 4.03). if you prefer allowing the add-ons to be installed . . . make sure the install utility can access the internet.

start the program . . . go to file/open . . . select one of the *.mid file copies. the process will be slow . . . after all, the program is not really designed to accept *.mid files. i suspect it is converting the midi format (digital) into a raw wav format (analog) during this interim.

note :

the whole windows os will seem to be freezing up . . . but just that the "redraw" of windows is being allocated to
wavepad
resources. within 15-20 seconds the "white screen of death" will disappear and you will, again, be in control. this behavior will continue while
wavepad
attempts to open the file. i suggest not doing anything else . . . simply wait for the file to open. keep watching the small interface progress bar . . . once it reaches 90% . . . there will be no further progress. at that point, click the "cancel" button in that small interface. 15-20 seconds later, an error pops up :
"
wavepad
could not open this file properly . . . it may be corrupted or in an unsupported format."
. . . click ok.

you will notice, in fact, the midi file has opened . . . and avails itself to being edited as you wish.

when you have finished with your edit . . . or simply wanted to open/save . . . go up to file/save_as . . . and save in *.wav format. well . . . i, myself, chose *.mp3 format.

the file i tried opening was a 14k midi file . . . which took appx 2min . . . whereas a similar *.mp3 file, 4mb in size, will take only 20 seconds to open. if your file is, say, 140k rather than 14k . . . might take as long as 20 minutes to open.

again, this is using free/basic wavepad program . . . not the switch program.

cheers, mate.

p.s. as a footnote . . . when saving your file . . . i remember wavepad installed an add-on (mp3enc) to execute the "save_as" procedure. and, to do so, it needed to harness the add-on from the internet. so . . . perhaps you should be connected to the internet when working this program.