Modem SUCCESS post

kdowns

I didn't see too many success stories so I thougt I would add mine. It took me too long to find a modem that worked for what I needed.

What I needed:

Answer phone

Play OGMs

Except DMTF (phone key presses)

Record messages

The biggest issue I had was that the modem I started with didn't except the DMTF detection on a consistent basis - read: it only took 1 out of 10 or so.

Bad modem: Creative Modem Blaster V.92 USB

I thought that since it stated that it was a voice modem it should work just fine. I didn't do enough research first.

Waste of $50.

Good modem: MiltiTech MT5656ZDX-V

Amazon: $94 (6/1/07) - Search on "MT5656ZDX-V"

Disclaimer: I only use it for the above needs. If you need anything more (i.e. outgoing calls, transfers, etc) I don't know if those work. Sorry, this last statement isn't something you want to read when you are looking for a modem that will do what you want. As a user I expected the software maker to help out more here.

I read EVERYTHING NCH and everyone wrote about what modem to get and there wasn't anything consistent.

[Rant]

It would have been nice to have a matrix of functionality vs. modem table to figure out what to buy. Yes, I know modems change, but put a stake in the ground and state: if you want this functionality -> get this modem! Saying users have had good experiences with such and such modem doesn't state that you tested that modem against your software. You do test your software, don't you? What modems do you use that work??????

You really shouldn’t suggest that the user buy modem after modem until they find one that works.

One other point, your support pages state that if you use AT#CLS (Query Modem) and it fails that means that you don't have a voice modem! I may not be a modem expert, but my current Voice Modem does not support AT#CLS in the Query Modem dialog and it works. I was using this Query Modem as the benchmark to see if I had a Voice Modem. Glad I don't believe everything I read.

[End of Rant]

Good luck!

Guest nchto

Thanks for that. We generally do not recommend using a modem for this very reason.

For professional installations we always recommend professional voice boards since voice modems are not always predictably reliable.
We must emphasise that we cannot 100% guarantee the compatibility of any particular modem. Sometimes a modem will work on one computer and not on another. If you have doubts, the best suggestion is to contact the modem manufacturer and ask whether their modems are TAPI compliant.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for that. We generally do not recommend using a modem for this very reason.

I foolishly purchase the software before I knew I had a modem that worked. Well, after struggling with a few modems I owned and then googling my *ss off and checking the forums to learn about TAPI and "voice modems" compared to regular fax/data modems, I decided to take the advice of the company and go to my local Microcenter (and call the modem manufacturer). I picked out a few modems that mentioned "voice mail," but I couldn't find any numbers to call on the packages. So I asked the store employee if he knew they were TAPI compliant - he didn't have a clue. I asked to use the store computer to look up the modem manufacturer's phone number. I had a ZOOM and Hayes modem in hand. I called Hayes first.

The phone didn't ring more than twice, and a real person answered...not a message prompt!! I told the person that I was in a store thinking about buying one of their modems (Hayes) or a Zoom modem. She told me that Hayes owns Zoom. I asked her if the Hayes modem I was looking at was TAPI compliant. She said all Hayes modems are TAPI compliant, as well as Zoom. That didn't seem right, so I asked her if she was sure. She said, "read the model code on the box." I did, and she said it was TAPI compliant. I asked her a few more questions, and she was very helpful. Needeless to say, I bought the Hayes. Got home, plugged it in, and it worked flawlessly!!!

If you are wondering which modem to buy, BUY THIS MODEM:

Hayes Accura PCI V.92 FAXMODEM (Model 15357)

Cost me $30. Well worth it.

I can't say enough about how impressed I was with Hayes. Real people answering the phone on the second ring without a messaging prompt! At first, I thought I dialed the wrong number!

Good luck all...and by the way...GREAT PRODUCT NCH!!!

I may have to buy this company some day!

Yeah, most modems today are TAPI compliant. However that doesn't mean it is voice compatible for answering machines and such.

TAPI is just a universal method of communicating with modem hardware to get the modem to perform actions such as dial a number, hangup, retrieve the caller ID etc. Yes, IVM does need the modem to be TAPI compliant to communicate with it, but that is only one of the requirements. If you picked up a random TAPI modem and it worked for you, you were very lucky.

In order for a modem to be compatible with applications like IVM, it should say it is a Voice Modem. Data/Fax modems are not the same thing. Often Voice Modems will have a headphone/mic jack on the modem card and may also come with (primitive) voice mail answering software. They also cost a bit more than a regular modem (e.g. rough prices: basic modem ~$5-10, data/fax ~$15-20, voice/data/fax ~$30-40).

I have to say, the particular modem you purchased is very unclear (based on information on their website etc.) about whether it has voice capabilities.

Yeah, most modems today are TAPI compliant. However that doesn't mean it is voice compatible for answering machines and such.

TAPI is just a universal method of communicating with modem hardware to get the modem to perform actions such as dial a number, hangup, retrieve the caller ID etc. Yes, IVM does need the modem to be TAPI compliant to communicate with it, but that is only one of the requirements. If you picked up a random TAPI modem and it worked for you, you were very lucky.

In order for a modem to be compatible with applications like IVM, it should say it is a Voice Modem. Data/Fax modems are not the same thing. Often Voice Modems will have a headphone/mic jack on the modem card and may also come with (primitive) voice mail answering software. They also cost a bit more than a regular modem (e.g. rough prices: basic modem ~$5-10, data/fax ~$15-20, voice/data/fax ~$30-40).

I have to say, the particular modem you purchased is very unclear (based on information on their website etc.) about whether it has voice capabilities.

Yes, I agree, it is unclear on the web site. And I agree that the box should say "vocie modem" on it. In this case the box only said "Hayes Accura PCI V.92 Faxmodem."

Interestingly enough, the Hayes model 15357 doesn't mention anything about being a voice modem on the box, but when I installed the drivers for it, it says it's a voice modem. I did notice on the box that it says "Voice Mail requires a soundcard for message playback... ." After installing the drivers, the modem is listed in Control Panel / Sound and Audio Devices as a device.

I don't know why the box or the web site doesn't say anything about being a voice modem.

Oh, btw Zoom Technologies owns Hayes, not the other way around.

noticed your post!

my story is very similar prior moving to dialogic card.

after testing about a dozend or so modems, especially for multiline setups via pci slot

a some things to consider:

its all about chip and driver compatibility, platform has a big influence on your drivers.

ideally you want to be on a tapi compliant platform "winXPpro,200,etc not sure about linux.

never mind the brand of modem as long as they have:

voice chip set compliance and each modem must have diffent chipset version, rockwell set is top of line

but costly hint hayes 50-75 dollar modem, you will not know what chip set it has unless you try it or call manufactu.

thinking of all the research and product expense accrued, i would have bought a 400.00 card 10 years ago.

well they say hind sight is 20/20.