VOIP/Telephony Board/USB

mingocreek

I am currently using IVM on a single analog line on a very limited basis due to modem quirks. I am located in the US and could not find a modem that would allow the IVM program to do all that was advertised. I noticed the new boards and the usb model, which are made for the NCH software. The discriptions are somewhat different, and I am wondering the difference between the USB board (lists recording), the standard PCI boards, and the CURL boards with TAPI. Do they provide the same hardware functionality with IVM (minus the obvious difference in the incoming lines)? What is the significance of the TAPI functon?

Regarding VOIP, are telephony boards needed if this service is used? If not, what is required? I want to purchase a new board (or use VOIP) that will allow me to utilize all of the features of IVM, and am trying to make the best choice. Thanks in advance for any feedback and recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nchto

VoIP is Voice over Internet Protocol, it uses your internet connection to receive calls. You need a SIP provider to access this service. A list can be found at http://www.nch.com.au/talk/sip.html

TAPI support is recommended if you are going to be using the board with other programs because it allows for greater compatibility.

VoIP is Voice over Internet Protocol, it uses your internet connection to receive calls. You need a SIP provider to access this service. A list can be found at spam://www.nch.com.au/talk/sip.html

TAPI support is recommended if you are going to be using the board with other programs because it allows for greater compatibility.

Thanks a lot. Any recommendations on the USB modem versus the PCI boards for a non-VOIP service (Veizon).

www.nch.com.au/kb/10063.html - Here is a list of recommended Voice Modems for use with IVM (also contains supported features info)

[Voice Modems: cheaper solution, lesser quality, lesser features]

www.nch.com.au/hardware/telephony.html - Here is a list of recommended Telephony Boards

[Telephony Boards: more expensive solution, higher quality, more features]

Guest nchto

In regards to telephony boards, it's really a personal choice... a toss up between the portability of the external USB device or the integrated PCI device. It also depends on what slots/ports you have available for the device. We recommend the PCI TAPI Compliant Telephony Board. Have a look at the table on the following page to help you decide: www.nch.com.au/hardware/telephony.html.