SPA-3000, G729 and Axon: Possible?

Marton

I'd like to know if it is possible to use G729 with Axon and a SPA-3000. I got everything configured and working with G711 but when I configure the SPA to use G729 my calls are disconnected...

If I configure the SPA to use FWD, it works perfectly on G729.

Any thoughts?

Due to the proprietry nature of the G729 codec, it is not currently supported by most (if not all) NCH software. Other codecs like G711, G726, Ulaw and Alaw are supported to my knowledge. Is there any reason why you need G729 in particular? Considering the fact G729 is often used when bandwidth is a concern, and you are talking about using it on a LAN (with presumably a very high bandwidth that could support any codec), you would probably get better quality from another codec. Even if the bandwidth rate was higher the likelyhood of this causing a problem on a LAN is probably non-existant.

Guest nchto

With regards to phone calls made from one phone to another, this question is irrelevant because codec negotiation is done by the two phones and not by Axon. If you have an external line connected to IMS through a group/queue and are playing on-hold music or are recording calls, Axon will use any of uLaw, aLaw, GSM or G726, depending on which codec the other end prefers. We don't support G723 or G.729, since they are proprietary codecs. We figure it doesn't make sense to use an open protocol like SIP to handle one part of the communication and then use proprietary codecs for the RTP part of the communication.

I don't plan to use it on a LAN, just over a 56kbps upstream broadband connection. G729 does perfectly on this bandwidth, G711 or G726 don't.

Please look at my previous posting:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?show...entry7669

G729 seems to be free for non-commercial use, and Axon is not a commercial product so it should be OK to use it, or am I wrong?

How comes FWD does support it?