Uplink fails on Vista

I'm in the process of migrating my PC to Vista.

Just installed Uplink ... and got my first BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death), just after Uplink installs the virtual audio driver.

When Vista reboots, it hits the BSOD again.

I got out of this loop by booting into Safe Mode, and then using System Restore to rewind back to before the Uplink virtual audio driver gets installed.

Sure enough, this fixes the BSOD problem. But of course, Uplink won't work without the driver.

There's two things that NCH need to do:

STEP 1: PUT A NOTE ON THE DOWNLOAD PAGE THAT THIS DOESN'T CURRENTLY WORK WITH VISTA!

STEP 2: Fix the virtual audio driver so that it does work with Vista!

Guest nchto

In the system requirements section on the Uplink page, there is no reference to Vista, hence it is not currently supported:

System Requirements

• Windows 98/2000/Me/XP/2003

Thats not a very good response to the problem nchto.

Since Vista is new, most users will look at that, see that it works on pretty much all Operating Systems, and make the assumption that the page just hasn't been updated yet to include Windows Vista. Users will not be happy when they download and find out they get the Blue Screen Of Death and cannot even use their computer anymore until they restore/recover.

I agree with the article poster, there should definitely be a warning on the uplink page.

Guest nchto
Thats not a very good response to the problem nchto.

Since Vista is new, most users will look at that, see that it works on pretty much all Operating Systems, and make the assumption that the page just hasn't been updated yet to include Windows Vista. Users will not be happy when they download and find out they get the Blue Screen Of Death and cannot even use their computer anymore until they restore/recover.

I agree with the article poster, there should definitely be a warning on the uplink page.

Agreed! I'll ask that they put a warning on the page.