.dss file corruption with DS-330, Mac-to-PC, Express Scribe

pomme-homme

For several years, I have been working with an excellent transcriptionist with the following system: I dictate on an Olympus DS-330, then download the files to my G5 Mac to DSS Player (most recent version.) I then email them to my transcriptionist as attachments to emails sent with Eudora 6.2.4. Over the past several months, some of the files are unreadable at her end (she uses a PC.) Here is how she describes the problem:

"I download the files to my desk top, and it appears that all is well. Then I download them to my excribe, which is transcription software to so I can use my pedal, etc. At that time, when I click on the various reports to download them simultaneously, when it comes to a bad file, it says, cannot read, corrupt file or bad disk, (not using a disk) and although it lists the file number, the time downloaded is 00:00, so it is making it to my computer email, and it downloads the way it should, but for some reason, it cannot be read. I have not had this happen, and as we know it has only recently started with you and I."

She does transcription for others using Olympus equipment and has not had this problem. I have reformatted the DS-330 but this hasn't helped. I can play back the files on the DS-330 and on the Mac in DSS Player without difficulty. I had her email me one of the files that she could not transcribe in Express Scribe. It came back with 0 Kb: no data.

Suggestions gratefully accepted. We are stumped.

Thanks!

BP

For several years, I have been working with an excellent transcriptionist with the following system: I dictate on an Olympus DS-330, then download the files to my G5 Mac to DSS Player (most recent version.) I then email them to my transcriptionist as attachments to emails sent with Eudora 6.2.4. Over the past several months, some of the files are unreadable at her end (she uses a PC.) Here is how she describes the problem:

"I download the files to my desk top, and it appears that all is well. Then I download them to my excribe, which is transcription software to so I can use my pedal, etc. At that time, when I click on the various reports to download them simultaneously, when it comes to a bad file, it says, cannot read, corrupt file or bad disk, (not using a disk) and although it lists the file number, the time downloaded is 00:00, so it is making it to my computer email, and it downloads the way it should, but for some reason, it cannot be read. I have not had this happen, and as we know it has only recently started with you and I."

She does transcription for others using Olympus equipment and has not had this problem. I have reformatted the DS-330 but this hasn't helped. I can play back the files on the DS-330 and on the Mac in DSS Player without difficulty. I had her email me one of the files that she could not transcribe in Express Scribe. It came back with 0 Kb: no data.

Suggestions gratefully accepted. We are stumped.

Thanks!

BP

Addendum: I resent the same file via Earthlink WebMail instead of with Eudora and it worked! Will experiment further as this is an intermittent problem.

BP