IVM Stops Answering Calls

joey256

Periodically, when IVM attempts to answer an incoming call, an error occurs and services crash. Afterwards, IVM no longer answers calls. To get IVM to answer calls again, the computer must be rebooted.

Here are the errors in order of occurrence:

Program Error

svchost.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7031

Date: 4/16/2005

Time: 8:19:42 PM

User: N/A

Computer: MAIN

Description:

The COM+ Event System service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Description:

The Network Connections service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Description:

The Removable Storage service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Description:

The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Description:

The System Event Notification service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Description:

The Telephony service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Hi,

could you give us some information on wich operating system you are running and wich modem you use.

My initial thoughts are that you have a bad modem driver. It is amazing how many faulty drivers are out there. Please check your modem manufacturer web site and see if an update is available. Mainly this is for the wave/voice driver.

On my system I get the dreaded Blue Screen of Death with one modem and its driver when answering a call. Otherwise all other devices are fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response.

I use Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (all post-critical updates applied).

My modem is a Broadxent V.92 DI3652-1 PCI card. The driver info is:

Driver Provider: Broadxent

Driver Date: Not available

Driver Version: 5.43.67.2

Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

Program Error

svchost.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

This looks like the same error I posted about a couple of months ago under "svchost.exe crashes each time". My system is a Windows 2000 SP4 machine as well, but with a different modem and modem drivers.

It runs Norton Antivirus 2004, which may be a suspect. Does your problem machine run NAV 2004 as well?

I still have not found a solution though, temporarily disabling NAV2004 makes no difference.

The problem is not a "blue screen of death" like nchcraig mentions.

I have Norton AntiVirus v. 11.0.9.16 which is included in Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier Edition.

I never get a "Blue Screen of Death" thankfully. However, when it happens, I must reboot the computer so the services can start successfully.

I tend to believe that this is a Microsoft issue even though the source of the problem may stem from a third-party process. "In a perfect world", svchost.exe should never allow a request to cause it to crash. However, I've noticed a few Microsoft KnowledgeBase articles (829697, 309615, 289186, 287512) that admit that svchost.exe causes memory leaks. Yet there are no articles that describe my problem.

Anyway, perhaps one of the services in the group may be the culprit. Here are the following services that are using the same svchost.exe:

EventSystem

Ias

Iprip

Irmon

Netman

Nwsapagent

Rasauto

Rasman

Remoteaccess

SENS

Sharedaccess

Tapisrv

Ntmssvc

wzcsvc

WmdmPmSN

I have Norton AntiVirus v. 11.0.9.16 which is included in Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier Edition.

So we are both running NAV. Can you uninstall NAV to see if its the problem?

(I can uninstall NAV one day, but it would be a pain right now.) Maybe I can look into disable NAV from starting up on boot.

I dont get a bluescreen either, and I need to restart the system to get it up again.

• 1 month later...

Uninstalling Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier Edition had no effect.

I have been reluctant to re-install the operating system but I have no other option at the moment. So, I'm planning to do so tomorrow and run more tests over the next few days. :(

NCH's document on various voice modems wasn't very promising. It did not recommend a specific model that had the least known problems. And, I'm not willing to spend more money to find one that does.

I really don't want to buy an answering machine but I'm losing my patience.