Vista and Express Scribe...no sound!

clhmt

Hi, I've just gotten a new computer with Vista Home Premium Edition installed. I tried to install the old Express Scribe file I had, but it said to download a new version to work with Vista.

I downloaded and installed version 4.10, and clicked the Play button to listen to the welcome message, and nothing! No sound at all. It doesn't even try to play, there is no start of the timer or movement in the progress bar or anything. I loaded a couple other dictations, and the same thing occurs. Windows system sounds work, playing music works, so I don't think it's actually a sound issue.

Whenever Express Scribe opens, Vista interrupts with a dialog box asking me to trust the program to run, or to cancel it, and I have to choose to trust it before Express Scribe will even open.

I've looked around and I haven't seen this problem...please forgive me if it's been covered before. Please just point me to an answer! :blink:

Thank you!

Try installing the older version you had by running it compatibility mode for Windows XP (right click exe > properties). The program should run and install normally. With any luck it should work. This is obviously only a temporary solution until the NCH staff can address this problem.

Try installing the older version you had by running it compatibility mode for Windows XP (right click exe > properties). The program should run and install normally. With any luck it should work. This is obviously only a temporary solution until the NCH staff can address this problem.

Thanks, pythonpoole, I'll give this a try. I am puzzled, though, since the website says 4.10 is Vista compatible. :huh:

We've tested Express Scribe with our copy of Vista here and it works fine. Try loading an mp3 and see if that works. Also in the options window make sure that you have specified your soundcard as your playback sound device.

We've tested Express Scribe with our copy of Vista here and it works fine. Try loading an mp3 and see if that works. Also in the options window make sure that you have specified your soundcard as your playback sound device.

God bless y'all! I enabled all the sound types, played with different outputs, and it finally played an mp3 file! Then I tried some dictation files, and they worked. The Welcome message STILL won't play, but since I don't have to transcribe that, I guess I'll give up on it. :lol:

Thanks again!

The Express Scribe welcome message uses the DSP Group TrueSpeech Codec which has been included in Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP, but it has not been included in Vista. We will obviously be making a new release of Express Scribe with a working welcome message, but should any of your other dictations not work, this could be the issue.

The Express Scribe welcome message uses the DSP Group TrueSpeech Codec which has been included in Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP, but it has not been included in Vista. We will obviously be making a new release of Express Scribe with a working welcome message, but should any of your other dictations not work, this could be the issue.

I will make a note of that for future reference! Thank you. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Using Vista Business.

I am able to play an .mp3 through Express Scribe 4.10 but I'm still not able to play any .dss files. They are showing up 00:00 in duration, where as the .mp3 shows up initially as 00:00 in duration and then changes to about 22 minutes after being played. The .mp3 is less than 5 minutes long. I never paid attention to durations before, so I have no idea whether this is a change from how ES operates in XP.

I'm curious if you were able to get .dss files to play.

Installing the .dss codec didn't help.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a new Vista machine and have installed Express Scribe several times, even as administrator, as suggested, but still I get no sound from the program. I also chose my sound card as the playback device (instead of using default) and that didn't help. I have a new VEC USB Foot Pedal because the one I was using was a 15 pin connector which is no longer provided on the new computer. I was supposed to start a new transcription account this week, and am dead in the water. I hope someone can help me get going again.

THANKS, Diane :(

Hi,

I own a transcription company and have the same problem. None of the people who work for me can get Vista to play their files. Windows does not include the codecs needed to play these files. Even if you get them from another source, get them installed and running, you still can't play the files you need. Some people are having some luck using "switch" to change the files but I have not had sucess with that. Mine still don't play and I have been trying for over a month. I hope the people at Express scribe can recognize that we need to play different kinds of files. .dss and .wav are the most widely used. They are files created by the big dictation systems such as the Orator by Bytescribe. It converts .vox to .wav and then they are downloaded to the transcriptionist.

Jane

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have any dictation right now, but sure hope mine works! I have been trying to get this thing to work with Vista for a couple of days now. Problem is my doctor that is actually digital only dictates like once a month!

• 2 weeks later...

When will this new version be released? I am a transcription student and I cannot do any of my assignments without Express Scribe.

Guest nchto

The current version on our site has a working welcome message. Please be aware that this is only a fix for our welcome message, you're still unable to play audio encoded with the DSP Group TrueSpeech codec in Vista. Contact the DSP Group for more information.

Guest nchto

Nothing has changed between the versions regarding .dss playback. If you cannot playback a particular file and you were able to play it before then please try reinstalling both the dss32 component and Express Scribe. If you have never been able to play this particular file then please try receiving it again as it is likely corrupted and/or incompatible.

I'll say it again, the Vista sound problem with Express Scribe (and all other software from all other companies) only relates to the DSP Group TrueSpeech codec (as it isn't supported by Vista)! Every other codec that has Vista support does work correctly with regards to compatibility issues.

• 10 months later...
The current version on our site has a working welcome message. Please be aware that this is only a fix for our welcome message, you're still unable to play audio encoded with the DSP Group TrueSpeech codec in Vista. Contact the DSP Group for more information.

I installed version 4.18 on my vista machine and it starts up but the welcome file does not show up and neither do any of the .mp3 dictation files. We were using version 4.01 and they seemed to work fine. The only problem I had with 4.01 was that is was not shutting down properly and when my wife would use it a 2nd time and shut it down they were shutting down from the screen but when you went into task manager you saw scribe.exe running twice and it was messing up the computer so when I saw the new version I thought I would try that but as you can see in my comment above that's not working for me either. I did find 4.05 and so far that seems ok. any reason that files aren't loading in 4.18 on vista???????? any other having this problem with 4.18????

• 3 years later...

MP3 file has no sound in Express Scribe, but will work in Windows Media Player. Other MP3 files will play in Express Scribe; I use Vista. The only way I could hear it is to download Switch and then convert to WMA. This was my first client-upload to my new transcription business website. I sure hope I don't have this trouble with any future work. I wonder how to tell what the codec is.

MP3 file has no sound in Express Scribe, but will work in Windows Media Player. Other MP3 files will play in Express Scribe;

Sounds like a completely different issue from the three year old thread you resurrected here.

If the client allows it, you can submit a bug report and follow the instructions for uploading the problematic file to NCH for examination.