Call Screening using OGM

JeffBPaarsa

My wife is a physician practicing in Los Angles California. I would like to purchase this IVM software for her office. What I would like to do with this software is to be able to do call screening so I could send and record some of the incoming messages in the mail boxes, for some other that the caller requires live attendant to respond "like call from another Physician office" or "Call to make appointment by patient" I would like to hear telephone ring so the phone can be answered by live person. Can I do this sort of things with IVM? Basically I would rather record an incoming call/message before I hear the ring but on certain condition I would like to hear the phone rings... I read your entire PDF manual but I did not come across to situation that I would like to use your software. Please respond ASAP because I am a serious buyer.

Regards

Jeffery B. Paarsa

I think what you would like to accomplish will require the use of IVM and NCH's Free Axon software.

Basically if I understand you correctly, you would like the caller to be able to phone in and select from a series of options for what he or she would like to do. And depending what the user selects, he or she is able to either leave a message or ring the phone in the office for a person to answer. Call screening is also supported by IVM when leaving voicemails so you can hear what is being said at the time the message is left (Although I don't recommend this in a doctor's office as someone may be discussing private information over the phone and that shouldn't be publicly broadcasted). In any case it's easy to setup IVM for listening to messages in different mailboxes and also having the option of sending them via email or collecting them remotely by internet or by phone if you want.

Now it all depends on how you plan on interfacing with the phone system you already have. Here are your options:

1) Use a voice modem

Pros: You can use your existing phone system / number, simply plug and play, install modem driver and you're ready to start receiving calls.

Cons: voice modems don't have excellent quality. Voice modems can't ring the phone connected to the computer.

2) Use an FXO Adapter

Pros: You can use your existing phone system / number. Works with Axon and IVM to deliver a simple yet advanced phone management system. Can ring phones connected to the axon pbx software, this can include free softphones (answered with headset connected to computer), IP or USB phones

Cons: Cost is higher than voice modem, also added cost of hardware phones if you do not want a softphone

3) Move to VoIP instead of your existing phone line (what most businesses are moving towards)

Pros: Depending on your provider you may be able to accept more than one incoming call at a time. Your SIP VoIP account will work flawlessly with IVM and Axon. High quality calls, delivered over your internet connection. Does not require FXO adapter, therefore cut cost. Can do everything you need. Cheaper call rates. Supports multiple phones connected to system, each with own extension (for calling internally) and can be grouped so for example all phones ring when call is external.

Cons: requires reliable high-speed internet connection. Added cost of hardware phones if you do not want a softphone. You may be required to get a new phone number for your office, the good thing is most telephone companies offer a forwarding feature to forward your calls to your new VoIP number as to not disrupt your office. If you decide to keep your existing line as well as have the VoiIP line, you are paying for two monthly billed phone services.

Sounds like using FXO option 2 is more reliable. While VOIP is the trend in the industry but putting all the eggs in one basket and relying on the continuance flow of Electricity and Internet service Provider for a medical office is too risky isn't it? Plus the fact that we have DSL in the area no Cable or any other high quality Internet connection.

Looking at the specification of SPA3102 sounded like I need one of these for each phone right? Presently we have 3 analog phone lines... One for fax only two others are inter connected so when some body rings the first phone and it is busy it will be rolled to the second phone and second phone will ring. While fax line is also connected to the analog phones and it can be used as regular phone but it is also connected to the Fax machine so by the first ring fax machine will kick in.

I assume we need two SPA3102 one for each line and a USB phone for each line and if we need to have these lines in 4 locations if there are no USB phone that can take 2 lines as input then I need 8 phones all over the office right? Plus the USB wiring thru out all the office right? And I think because the length of some of these wires could be longer than 6-8 feet I should expect to lose quality of voice right? Am I right on my assumption and calculations?

Waiting to hear from you... Thanks for the reply and advice.

You will need one FXO adapter per ordinary PSTN phone line you wish to connect to your new phone system. If one is dedicated for fax calls, you probably shouldn't waste money on an FXO adapter for that line, you can easily just leave it how it is with a normal analog phone attached to it to use if absolutely necessary.

Basically how it works is you install Axon (free pbx software from NCH) which connects to all the FXO adapters on the network and converts them to "external [phone] lines" for you to use. Your USB, IP, and softphones connect to the PBX software and you can have any number of configurations. For instance, you can have all the FXO adapters added to Axon and make it direct calls from any line through to all the USB phones. If someone is already on the phone you can have it automatically ring the other USB phones that aren't in use in the office, or put them on hold until someone is available to answer. You can also have the option of choosing which line to dial out on through the USB/IP/Softphones. For instance you can make it so if you start dialling by pressing 1 first, then use line 1, two first then use line 2. You can also call the other phones inside the office internally if needed. The configuration possibilities are nearly infinite.

In terms of cabling, the USB phone doesn't need to be connected to the central computer, but it does need to be connected to a computer, any computer on the same network as the computer with Axon and IVM will be on. If you get an IP phone rather than a USB phone, no computer is needed, but you do need Ethernet cabling from the phone to the central computer with Axon.

Ethernet cabling can go up to about 300ft or more without any connection problems, signal strength loss or anything that may cause voice quality loss. USB cables can go a fair way to without problems. The only cable where length can affect quality is the standard phone line cable. So the distance between your phone jack and internet modem, or the FXO adapters should be about 6ft or less if possible, however 10ft or even 15ft shouldn't cause any issues.