Text to speech rate

rmoore

This isn't an IVM problem, but it is in use with IVM and I hope someone here knows what is going on.

Windows 2003 : installed SAPI 4 TTS engines (MS & L&H), control panel control, etc. The speech rate defaults to 150wpm. The L&H engine has the option of changing the speech rate. MS does not. The problem is that when I change the rate it reverts back to 150wpm when I exit control panel. And, 150wpm is too fast.

Anyone know of a registery hack? or where the rate is stored so it can be changed?

thanks,

Rodgers Moore

I answered my own question. In the SAPI 4 specification there are control tags which can be imbedded into the text string.

TTS of "Hello, this is..." would be read at the default speach rate of probably 150 words per minute. "\Spd=100\Hello, this is..." would be read at a rate of 100 words per minute. The range depends on the engine, but 50 to 250 is the spec.

This works in IVM, simply put the tag in the script.

\Pit=<num>\ changes the pitch \Vol=<num>\ is the Volume etc. etc. See the MS SAPI 4a SDK documentation, search for "control tags" for a full list.

Rodgers Moore

This isn't an IVM problem, but it is in use with IVM and I hope someone here knows what is going on.

Windows 2003 : installed SAPI 4 TTS engines (MS & L&H), control panel control, etc.  The speech rate defaults to 150wpm.  The L&H engine has the option of changing the speech rate.  MS does not.  The problem is that when I change the rate it reverts back to 150wpm when I exit control panel.  And, 150wpm is too fast.

Anyone know of a registery hack? or where the rate is stored so it can be changed?

thanks,

Rodgers Moore