portable recorders and dictate - which is best?

Bill Dickerson

We currently have all Olympus - hardware and software. We will be moving to the Express Dictate and scribe products.

DSS, well, I won't say it here..........

Our counselors use "portable recorders" - the Olympus DS-4000.

They have been a bit troublesome. We'd like to make another choice both as we add new users and need to get more hardware, and to replace hardware as we can.

What recording devices are any of you using, why, and with what successes or failures?

What works best with the NCH products here??

It would be wonderful if we could move away from a device that's seen as an external USB hard drive for security reasons!

(We'd like to disable the ability to use thumbdrives and hard drives in Windows, however, when we do that, the Olympus devices no longer work as they are viewed as an external drive. However, this may not be possible!)

Thank you for your input.

• 1 month later...

Does nobody use any portable dictation recorders at all, or have any "opinions" as what works well, what works with the Express products, or what to not use?

We need to get rid of these very expensive and very troublesome Olympus DS4000 units as we've had nothing but trouble and crashes and firmware upgrades needed.

What's good to use, what's not?

Example - I suspect we need to avoid Sony because of special drivers needed.

We already know to avoid Olympus.

Thanks............. I hope..................