longer files playing badly

Guest Karen B

Guest Karen B

I've reported this problem before and it seems I'm the only person in the whole world that it happened to (well except for one other woman I work with had it the exact same way). With Windows XP the newer versions of Express Scribe start to spurt and sputter and falter on files more than 20-30 minutes. I use it flawlessly on Windows ME laptop, but had always had trouble with XP. Well, I got a brand new machine and at first thought things were okay, but lately it's happening again. I have to keep flipping back and forth between version 3.07 and the newer one depending on what I'm doing. The newer one is much better in most ways, but you can't convince me there's not a conflict with XP that the software producer seems unaware of. I LOVE This software and kiss your feet all the time it's there and it's free .. but something is not working perfectly with XP and I've lived this experience for about a year and a half now.

Guest Heather

I just noticed this same behavior while trying to transcribe a .wav file. At 19.5 minutes, express scribe skipped about 4-5 seconds of audio. I'm using windows XP and this is the only version of Express scribe that I have used before. Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Guest Karen
I just noticed this same behavior while trying to transcribe a .wav file.  At 19.5 minutes, express scribe skipped about 4-5 seconds of audio.  I'm using windows XP and this is the only version of Express scribe that I have used before.  Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Well, I've never had it skip that much. it's just sort of sputters and acts jittery. I conversed with the express Scribe people for a while, but they couldn't seem to even see it ever did it, so I just went to using version 3.07 where it has no problem. I just like the feature where it shows the time down in the task bar, but version 3.07 is mostly okay.

• 2 months later...
Guest lincoln stoller
I've reported this problem before and it seems I'm the only person in the whole world that it happened to (well except for one other woman I work with had it the exact same way).  With Windows XP the newer versions of Express Scribe start to spurt and sputter and falter on files more than 20-30 minutes.  I use it flawlessly on Windows ME laptop, but had always had trouble with XP.  Well, I got a brand new machine and at first thought things were okay, but lately it's happening again.  I have to keep flipping back and forth between version 3.07 and the newer one depending on what I'm doing.  The newer one is much better in most ways, but you can't convince me there's not a conflict with XP that the software producer seems unaware of. I LOVE This software and kiss your feet all the time it's there and it's free .. but something is not working perfectly with XP and I've lived this experience for about a year and a half now.

I'm noticing this at the 7 minute mark in the playback of mp3 files, converted from high quality wav files. I'm running on the Mac and the break down in audio always occurs after the same amount of playback. If I quit and relauch ES the problem goes away, until the next 7 minutes of the file have been played back. I think it's a memory problem, or something having to do with the retreival from a temporary disk file. Probably no one at NCH tested the software in this situation. And I'll bet that the lower the quality of the audio file, the longer the time will elapse before the playback breaks up.

I'm noticing this at the 7 minute mark in the playback of mp3 files, converted from high quality wav files. I'm running on the Mac and the break down in audio always occurs after the same amount of playback. If I quit and relauch ES the problem goes away, until the next 7 minutes of the file have been played back. I think it's a memory problem, or something having to do with the retreival from a temporary disk file. Probably no one at NCH tested the software in this situation. And I'll bet that the lower the quality of the audio file, the longer the time will elapse before the playback breaks up.

Yeah, on a Mac as well, have come here to see if there's a solution. On separate Macs, with files recorded (even tried different formats) on Dictate on Mac or PC, will begin to have the sound degrade sometime after 7 minutes, always before 10. Restarting the software allows it to go through the same process again.

Really annoying as everything else about the software works so well.

Guest Karen

It is however, only happening on my computer with XP OS. I use it on a laptop with ME and it never sputters at all. That's why i was always so confused as to why it happens, and why Express Scribe could never see the problem. I've used the newest edition on two different XP machines and had the same thing happen, but have used it happily for months on the ME with nothing every going wrong.

Yeah, on a Mac as well, have come here to see if there's a solution.  On separate Macs, with files recorded (even tried different formats) on Dictate on Mac or PC, will begin to have the sound degrade sometime after 7 minutes, always before 10.  Restarting the software allows it to go through the same process again.

Really annoying as everything else about the software works so well.

• 1 month later...
Guest Maria

I think I am having the same problem. I have a MP3 recording from a flashcard that I need to type, however it is 36 minutes long. When I load it onto ES as it is loading the sound is fine however once it reaches 100% loaded, the sound is all distorted and there is alot of screeching and static kind of sounds and you cannot hear the voices.

Is this the same as what you guys were mentioning? Is there anything I can do about it as I need to get this recording typed urgently. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Maria

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Heather and Karen,

I don't know if this will help but I went through a similar situation a while back and the tech support was helpful. What worked for me is when you are using express scribe on XP (I have XP home) open the task manager (Control + ALT + Delete) and click on "Processes". Find "scribe.exe" and right click on it. Choose "Set Priority" and then change it to "Real Time". Then click ok when you get the warning. It works like a charm for me. Be aware that you have do this whenever you open Express Scribe. A small price to pay for a program like this! thumb.gif

Guest Jimmy Lindsay
I've reported this problem before and it seems I'm the only person in the whole world that it happened to (well except for one other woman I work with had it the exact same way).  With Windows XP the newer versions of Express Scribe start to spurt and sputter and falter on files more than 20-30 minutes.  I use it flawlessly on Windows ME laptop, but had always had trouble with XP.  Well, I got a brand new machine and at first thought things were okay, but lately it's happening again.  I have to keep flipping back and forth between version 3.07 and the newer one depending on what I'm doing.  The newer one is much better in most ways, but you can't convince me there's not a conflict with XP that the software producer seems unaware of. I LOVE This software and kiss your feet all the time it's there and it's free .. but something is not working perfectly with XP and I've lived this experience for about a year and a half now.