Can't open .ra files

Osprey

I am trying to use Switch Plus to convert Real Audio files to MP3.

Previously this worked perfectly, however PC had to have a re-build last week and the new download of Switch Plus (v1.11) will not work.

I browse to select the file, set it to MP3 and leave bitrate at 128 default … select output folder.

But when I click on convert it fails – putting a red cross against the file name and the error “The file could not be opened”

I notice prior to clicking: ‘convert’ the icon on left is a grey ‘box’ with music symbol … can’t remember if this was same previously.

I have tried many files … including the sample file from this forum http://www.nch.com.au/acm/sample.PCM.16bit...tereo.56kbps.ra – same error.

If I simply double click on any of the files they open and play perfectly as .ra files for example with Real Player or similar so the files are not corrupt, and I’m positive there is nothing wrong with the files. These are all standard .ra files captured from BBC radio broadcasts.

Anybody any idea … it worked so perfectly before.

Have confimed that .RA files will open & convert OK with older version v1.05 .... can this still be downloaded, I will 'downgrade' to this as it works.

Current 1.11 will not allow me to open any .RA files.

Anybody know where I can get v 1.05 ?

Is there a fix planned for this bug ?

Ref this and my own posting:- I have now done a second install of the previous v 1.05 and all appears to be working as before (if perhaps a little more slowly - it can look as though it has "died" for quite a long time before it saves the file).

I had to search long and hard before I could find what looked to be a genuine unadulterated copy of the software and I cannot now find it again on the net to post the address (lots of warez copies, but don't know how reliable). I have kept a copy of the zip file, so if you want it sending, send me a note (through the send a personal message tab) with your email address and I will forward

Thank you both for posting. Those posts have saved us a bunch of time trying to figure out what happened to the RA conversion. We too have had to go back to old versions of this program.

If I could figure out how to do the conversions within our C# code, I would just do it there, but this works fairly well for now.

Thank you both for posting. Those posts have saved us a bunch of time trying to figure out what happened to the RA conversion. We too have had to go back to old versions of this program.

If I could figure out how to do the conversions within our C# code, I would just do it there, but this works fairly well for now.

When you do a fix ... if you want a tester, let me know ... happy to help

When you do a fix ... if you want a tester, let me know ... happy to help

Yes, I would love to test with NCH as well as soon as they fix this bug. I am not sure how to get in touch with NCH since you have to purchase the support as well in order to talk to them. I will keep searching. This project is very important to us.

• 2 weeks later...

switch is my product, so yes I am concerned about this problem, I only just noticed it yesterday. Its a very odd one since we have not touched the rm format code at all since the last release.

i'll keep you all posted when I find something, its likely that a fix would warrant a new release.

p.s. you dont have to purchase support in order to submit bug reports, just go here instead: http://www.nch.com.au/software/bug.html . we cant respond to them directly, but we do look at bug reports weekly.

switch is my product, so yes I am concerned about this problem, I only just noticed it yesterday. Its a very odd one since we have not touched the rm format code at all since the last release.

i'll keep you all posted when I find something, its likely that a fix would warrant a new release.

p.s. you dont have to purchase support in order to submit bug reports, just go here instead: http://www.nch.com.au/software/bug.html . we cant respond to them directly, but we do look at bug reports weekly.

Thank you for replying nchtj. I had to laugh to myself about the RA problem. It seems we too experience problems in our code sometimes in a particular section even though we didn't modify it. I think it is just one of those things in a life of a programmer.... endless frustrations. :~}

Let me know if you need us to test it out. We have some large RA files that we are converting.

And thank you for posting the link to the bug page.

Thanks,

Rob

rick_hughes : the email I sent to you bounced

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

rick_hughes@btconnect.com

all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts

• 2 weeks later...

notice for anyone sending email from a comcast address:

comcast is blocking our mail server at the moment, so we cannot respond to queries from anyone with a comcast address. so you must write to us from another email address in order to receive a reply.

• 3 weeks later...

I just downloaded 1.11 tonight (1/31/07), and it's still not opening .ra files. Apparently the fix hasn't made it into the real world yet. I have a lot of work that this program could do, but I'm not going to purchase a license for something that doesn't work.

DaveBj