Missing audio compression formats

dmj99

For some reason, I can't set my work computer to use MPEG Layer-3 audio compression. When I go into the drop down box to select audio compression format (send to typist recipient properties), MPEG is missing. The title of the window is "select wave file format." Most of the other compression formats are there, except MPEG. The computer has win2000. I know it is not a problem with win 2000 in general, because all of the other work computer's I've installed it on with win2000 have the MPEG option. I tried installing m3pel from the NCH website (I think that was the name) but this didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Don

Have you installed SP4 for Windows 2000? Done a Windows Update on that computer? The actual audio compression manager where you would select the MPEG Layer 3 format is done by Windows and we don't actually have any control over what is listed there (this is why we developed our own mp3el plugin so that we can guarantee that customers would be able to encode in mp3). So if possible try to find out what is different between these Windows 2000 machines as this is the likely cause of the problem.

Have you installed SP4 for Windows 2000? Done a Windows Update on that computer? The actual audio compression manager where you would select the MPEG Layer 3 format is done by Windows and we don't actually have any control over what is listed there (this is why we developed our own mp3el plugin so that we can guarantee that customers would be able to encode in mp3). So if possible try to find out what is different between these Windows 2000 machines as this is the likely cause of the problem.

Your suggestion worked. I updated Windows and downloaded and installed the newest version of windows media player. The MPEG compression format then appeared!

Thank you :rolleyes: