Which Setting Should I Use?

Radam

just downloaded Express Rip for the purpose of ripping my 60s and 70s jazz cds. I'm using the 44100 sample rate and a size of 16 bits resolution with WAV files.  My question would be, which setting should I use - Auto (preserves original format) or High Quality (CD/DVD Quality)? Seems like these would be quite similar, but I figure it would be best to pose the question here before continuing. Thanks.

Hello @Radam

As an NCH tech support representative, I'd be happy to assist you with your question about Express Rip and choosing the appropriate setting for ripping your jazz CDs.

When it comes to selecting the setting in Express Rip, both the "Auto" and "High Quality (CD/DVD Quality)" options have their respective benefits. Let's take a closer look at each setting:

1. Auto (preserves original format): This setting allows Express Rip to detect and preserve the original format of the audio tracks on your CDs. If your jazz CDs were originally recorded at a sample rate of 44100 Hz and a bit depth of 16 bits (which is common for CDs), then selecting the "Auto" option would likely result in the closest match to the original format. This setting is useful if you prefer to maintain the authenticity of the music as it was originally recorded.

2. High Quality (CD/DVD Quality): This setting ensures that the ripped audio files are of high quality and meet the standard CD/DVD specifications. It might slightly improve the audio quality by applying certain processing techniques, such as noise reduction or enhancing the dynamic range. If you're aiming for the best possible audio quality while still maintaining compatibility with CD/DVD standards, the "High Quality" option is a good choice.

Considering your preference for ripping 60s and 70s jazz CDs, which were likely recorded in the standard CD format, both options should yield satisfactory results. However, if you're specifically interested in preserving the original format without any alterations, selecting the "Auto" option would be more suitable. On the other hand, if you want to enhance the audio quality while maintaining compatibility, you can opt for the "High Quality" setting.

Ultimately, the choice between the two settings depends on your personal preference and the level of audio quality you desire. I would recommend trying out both options with a few sample tracks and comparing the results to determine which setting produces the desired outcome in terms of audio fidelity and compatibility.