Can't load MP4 files

Andy Pay

Please share a file or two that has the issue.  Someone will check it out.  Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Thanks for sharing.  Loads normally in just seconds here, using the latest releaseimage.png

Install it and report back.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Here's the next thing...

Right-click the VP file that launches the program and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

If no change, try this...

Close Videopad.  In Windows Explorer (the file manager) delete all files in these two folders.  Then reinstall the latest VP version.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components"  (or the path without the x86)

"C:\Users\<PC name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

Let us know.

The first suggestion didn't work so I'm trying the second, deleting the files in those two folders. I've deleted the files in the first one, but in "C:\Users\ I'm not seeing PC name. It's giving me a choice of "Public" or "user". Clicking "user" I'm not seeing AppData etc.

The program won't open at all now.

The path is "C:\Users\<PC name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

The "PC name" refers to your name, or the name you have given the PC.

If you don't see AppData, type "File Folder Options" into the Windows search box (bottom-left).  You should get this.

Check the boxes that you see here.  Then AppData should show up under your PC name, and you can click your way down the tree to Components.

image.png

After deleting these files, reinstall Videopad, which will recreate them.

If that doesn't work check in here again.

OK I've done all that. I think the problem is something to do with the type of file. Looking at the properties of my video clips, those described as MP4 files will open, no problem. 
Some of the clips won't open. These one are just described as "File" even though they were shot using the same equipment and have the file name e.g. "VID_20230113-220329.mp4"

To find these files in the VP browser I have to change the default "Common Media Files" to "All files". If they're not MP4 files, what are they and how can I open them?

I've reinstalled it again, v 13.21, and they're still not opening, including the one I supplied the link for. Is it anything to do with the fact that I am using the Demo version? I used to pay but haven't been billed in a long time.

Well the answer my question was NO. I just re-subscribed, entered my registration code etc and still they're not opening. I really need this tomorrow (Saturday!)

Loaded and exported normally once again, using several Videopad releases..

Last ditch thing to try...

Use this free tool to delete most traces of Videopad.  Say yes to scanning and deleting all registry entries as well.

Then install the current release.

If that fails, and there aren't a ton of files, upload the 'bad' ones and we'll re-encode them, to see whether that will allow them to load.