What is best practice for organizing a complex VideoPad project?

CDDavis

I am a newbie.  I am running VideoPad 13.15 on a very large Window 10 machine with SSDs, Nvidia GPU, and AMD threadripper cores.  I also have NCH WavePad and Prism and other programs at my disposal.

I am creating videos that run about 45 minutes in duration at 1920x1080

The video content comes from numerous clips from various sources, plus video clips exported from PowerPoint, plus single image jpg and png files.

Narration needs to be added to most video clips and images, existing narration retained on a few clips.

I want to take advantage of transitions and multiple videos overlayed on the same screen in a few cases, and fixed and moving subtitles in a few cases.  I don't want to be limited in the effects available, nor do I want to have to reapply those effects if some other video clip is changed or edited.

When I edit a particular video clip, I want its new content to be included automatically in the VideoPad project without having to reapply transitions and adjust clip start and end times or lengths where it abuts other clips.

I have recently learned that a VideoPad project:

• containing multiple sequences can not export a single video that combines all sequences
  • containing multiple video tracks can not apply transitions between tracks

My “intuition” is that I need a single “low level” VideoPad project for each clip with narration added to that clip, export those videos, and then use “mid level” VideoPad projects to combine low level exported videos with transitions and export those mid-level videos, and finally a “top level” VideoPad project that combines mid-level exported videos with transitions into a final, complete video.

Is there a better way?

Are there any gotcha’s or pitfalls to be aware of with what I have described?

Normally, transitions apply only to adjacent clips on the same track, and higher tracks always take precedence.  But fades can cross tracks.

Like this, where boy fades to dog and back again...

image.png

That said, transitions between tracks can be programmed in Multicam mode.  Right-click the preview window, choose Preview Mode | Multicam.

image.png  Or there may be a Multicam button to launch the feature... image.png Experiment.

Changing a clip or adjacent clip's length may remove a transition, so it can be best to add transitions between fully edited adjacent clips.  Effects 'stick' - normally they won't change.

Multiple sequences can be embedded into a single track.  At the top-left of the bin click the Sequences tab.  Drag the desired sequence to the target track, or right-click and choose one of the placement options.  These embeds are composites - not individual clips - and should be edited prior to main track insertion.

Building in levels, with individual exports to be later assembled, is one approach.  Building sequences for insertion into the main track is an alternative.

Consider adding narration last, to the main sequence.  Narration tracks can be positioned at will.

You are limited to available effects, but your adjusted settings for each can be saved as a template.  Click the blue icon image.png and name it.  That customized effect appears at the bottom of the effects window, to be applied to other clips.

Bin clips can be sized prior to timeline insertion.  image.png

A master bin clip can be duplicated numerous times.  Right-click | COPY.  Then in an open area of the bin right-click | PASTE CLIP.

Edit each copy for unique IN/OUT points.  That won't affect the other copies or the master.

When done, select the desired clip and drop it into the timeline - perhaps at the cursor, using the right-click placement option.

In general...

Use the 64-bit release.

Prior to the start of a new project, go to OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  (This can also be done while editing.)

Don't import clips to the bin that won't be used in the project.

For protection, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  Saves will restore the project via a double-click on their VPJ file.

That was really helpful.  Thank you.  Especially the point about how to copy a sequence to a track.  And I didn't know there were 64 bit versions - that seems to be a secret 🙂

On your point about "Consider adding narration last, to the main sequence.  Narration tracks can be positioned at will. " 

Some of my tracks already have narration from the original source, so I wouldn't want to risk overwriting them.  As for the tracks where I will be adding my own narration, I thought it would be easier to add narration as I made each clip, that way my narration scripts are short and once recorded I needn't worry about them when assembling the final video.  Do I lose anything by narrating each clip as I go?  What do I gain by narrating the entire video as a last step?

Narration from an original source won't be overwritten - unless its audio track is altered or deleted.

Nothing will be lost by adding your narration per clip, if each cut fits within a clip.  If narration is to span clips it would be best to add it later.